Nov 29, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
Saturday could be a big day for professional hockey in the Greater Toronto Area, as promoters hoping to bring an NHL-size arena to Markham (a Toronto suburb) will make a “major announcement,” according to the Markham Economist & Sun.
The proposed $325 million project has proven controversial. There were rumblings that the deal might die back in August. The plan barely made it past a city council meeting in January, surviving via a 7-6 vote after a “marathon” session.
It’s polarizing for plenty of reasons, but the most glaring one is that they’re building an NHL-ready arena without an NHL tenant in line. Developer GTA Sports & Entertainment has repeatedly declared that finding one isn’t required to turn a profit. That doesn’t mean that bringing a second NHL franchise to the Greater Toronto Area isn’t the true goal, however.
With all of that controversy - not to mention persistent rumors about league expansion – in mind, it should be really interesting to hear the latest update regarding Markham’s bold arena plan.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)