Nov 29, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
Saturday could be a big day for professional hockey in the Greater Toronto Area, as promoters hoping to bring an NHL-size arena to Markham (a Toronto suburb) will make a “major announcement,” according to the Markham Economist & Sun.
The proposed $325 million project has proven controversial. There were rumblings that the deal might die back in August. The plan barely made it past a city council meeting in January, surviving via a 7-6 vote after a “marathon” session.
It’s polarizing for plenty of reasons, but the most glaring one is that they’re building an NHL-ready arena without an NHL tenant in line. Developer GTA Sports & Entertainment has repeatedly declared that finding one isn’t required to turn a profit. That doesn’t mean that bringing a second NHL franchise to the Greater Toronto Area isn’t the true goal, however.
With all of that controversy – not to mention persistent rumors about league expansion – in mind, it should be really interesting to hear the latest update regarding Markham’s bold arena plan.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)