Nov 29, 2013, 10:04 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs suffered a 6-0 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday, but in some ways Wednesday’s 6-5 shootout defeat to the Pittsburgh Penguins was worse.
Blowing a three-goal lead is crushing. It brings up bad memories in Toronto.
When listing off the elite teams in the NHL, the Maple Leafs might not be counted among them, but they do have the potential to be serious competitors. When the squad is clicking, they can be dominant. They certainly started the season that way, but have slipped lately.
And it has coach Randy Carlyle very concerned.
“Well, I don’t sleep well,” he said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “I get stress headaches. I get a lot of things that you guys probably never experience. But that’s all part of it. That’s why I’m doing what I’m doing. There’s an adrenalin that comes with it, but there’s also some pretty big lows.
“And nights like (Toronto’s loss to Pittsburgh) bring you to Earth in a hurry.”
The Maple Leafs couldn’t even get a shot on goal in the third period or overtime on Wednesday. The last time Toronto went a full period without recording a shot was in April 2000. That’s an example of a larger problem, which is the fact that Toronto has only outshot its opponents three times all season and allow an average of 10 shots more than they fire.
Teams will often talk about the importance of quality shots over quantity, but a differential that big still leaves much to be desired.
Toronto will face off against the only team with a worse shots for-against ratio tonight: The dead last Buffalo Sabres.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)