Nov 29, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
Maxim Lapierre isn’t expecting a warm welcome in San Jose on Friday.
The Blues agitator, who concussed Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle with a hit from behind in mid-October, says he’s ready for a harsh reception for the first meeting between the two clubs since the incident.
“Obviously I think it will just be a normal thing for the fans to react to that,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m ready to face the music.”
Lapierre said that he and Boyle exchanged texts following the incident, but only to explain what each was thinking at the time of the hit. It doesn’t sound like any fences were mended — “I can’t say [Boyle's] happy with it,” Lapierre explained — and Boyle told the San Jose Mercury News he’s not in the mood for making nice.
“Not really,” Boyle said, when asked if he was ready for a handshake moment with Lapierre. “Not right now.
“I understand there are times in a game with some of these open ice hits that are just part of hockey. But when you hit somebody from behind like that, it’s a lack of respect.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 6
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)