Nov 29, 2013, 12:48 AM EST
Maxim Lapierre isn’t expecting a warm welcome in San Jose on Friday.
The Blues agitator, who concussed Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle with a hit from behind in mid-October, says he’s ready for a harsh reception for the first meeting between the two clubs since the incident.
“Obviously I think it will just be a normal thing for the fans to react to that,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m ready to face the music.”
Lapierre said that he and Boyle exchanged texts following the incident, but only to explain what each was thinking at the time of the hit. It doesn’t sound like any fences were mended — “I can’t say [Boyle’s] happy with it,” Lapierre explained — and Boyle told the San Jose Mercury News he’s not in the mood for making nice.
“Not really,” Boyle said, when asked if he was ready for a handshake moment with Lapierre. “Not right now.
“I understand there are times in a game with some of these open ice hits that are just part of hockey. But when you hit somebody from behind like that, it’s a lack of respect.”
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)