Nov 29, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Sean Couturier‘s first shorthanded goal of the year was the game-winner as Philly beat Winnipeg 2-1 in a Friday matinee at Wells Fargo.
That the deciding tally came on a Winnipeg power play was oddly appropriate.
Winnipeg’s beleaguered PP unit once again proved to be the team’s undoing, as it went 0-for-6 with the man and gave up Couturier’s marker, the league-high fifth shorthanded goal the Jets have surrendered this season.
“Our power play was disappointing,” Jets head coach Claude Noel said after the game. “We didn’t get anything out of it and haven’t been able to through the year, so it’s not like it’s anything new for us.
“Finding solutions to that issue and that problem is certainly a challenge.”
With Friday’s result, Winnipeg now sits 28th in the NHL in power play efficiency (11.5 percent) and is 0-for-12 over its last four games.
The frustrating part, it seems, is that the Jets appeared to turn a corner in mid-November. The PP went 5-for-14 in a four-game stretch against Philadelphia, Minnesota, Calgary and Chicago… but quickly reverted back to its previous form. The Jets have now gone nearly 400 minutes without scoring on the man advantage.
As for other notes from Friday’s game…
– Scott Hartnell scored the opening goal of the game 48 seconds in, his fifth of the year.
– Philly snapped a two-game losing streak with the win; Winnipeg ended a two-game winning streak with the loss.
– Jets forward Evander Kane was knocked out of the game in the first period with a lower-body injury, and didn’t return.
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 1
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 7
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 46
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)