Nov 29, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Sean Couturier‘s first shorthanded goal of the year was the game-winner as Philly beat Winnipeg 2-1 in a Friday matinee at Wells Fargo.
That the deciding tally came on a Winnipeg power play was oddly appropriate.
Winnipeg’s beleaguered PP unit once again proved to be the team’s undoing, as it went 0-for-6 with the man and gave up Couturier’s marker, the league-high fifth shorthanded goal the Jets have surrendered this season.
“Our power play was disappointing,” Jets head coach Claude Noel said after the game. “We didn’t get anything out of it and haven’t been able to through the year, so it’s not like it’s anything new for us.
“Finding solutions to that issue and that problem is certainly a challenge.”
With Friday’s result, Winnipeg now sits 28th in the NHL in power play efficiency (11.5 percent) and is 0-for-12 over its last four games.
The frustrating part, it seems, is that the Jets appeared to turn a corner in mid-November. The PP went 5-for-14 in a four-game stretch against Philadelphia, Minnesota, Calgary and Chicago… but quickly reverted back to its previous form. The Jets have now gone nearly 400 minutes without scoring on the man advantage.
As for other notes from Friday’s game…
– Scott Hartnell scored the opening goal of the game 48 seconds in, his fifth of the year.
– Philly snapped a two-game losing streak with the win; Winnipeg ended a two-game winning streak with the loss.
– Jets forward Evander Kane was knocked out of the game in the first period with a lower-body injury, and didn’t return.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6