Nov 29, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Sean Couturier‘s first shorthanded goal of the year was the game-winner as Philly beat Winnipeg 2-1 in a Friday matinee at Wells Fargo.
That the deciding tally came on a Winnipeg power play was oddly appropriate.
Winnipeg’s beleaguered PP unit once again proved to be the team’s undoing, as it went 0-for-6 with the man and gave up Couturier’s marker, the league-high fifth shorthanded goal the Jets have surrendered this season.
“Our power play was disappointing,” Jets head coach Claude Noel said after the game. “We didn’t get anything out of it and haven’t been able to through the year, so it’s not like it’s anything new for us.
“Finding solutions to that issue and that problem is certainly a challenge.”
With Friday’s result, Winnipeg now sits 28th in the NHL in power play efficiency (11.5 percent) and is 0-for-12 over its last four games.
The frustrating part, it seems, is that the Jets appeared to turn a corner in mid-November. The PP went 5-for-14 in a four-game stretch against Philadelphia, Minnesota, Calgary and Chicago… but quickly reverted back to its previous form. The Jets have now gone nearly 400 minutes without scoring on the man advantage.
As for other notes from Friday’s game…
— Scott Hartnell scored the opening goal of the game 48 seconds in, his fifth of the year.
— Philly snapped a two-game losing streak with the win; Winnipeg ended a two-game winning streak with the loss.
— Jets forward Evander Kane was knocked out of the game in the first period with a lower-body injury, and didn’t return.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)