Nov 29, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Sean Couturier‘s first shorthanded goal of the year was the game-winner as Philly beat Winnipeg 2-1 in a Friday matinee at Wells Fargo.
That the deciding tally came on a Winnipeg power play was oddly appropriate.
Winnipeg’s beleaguered PP unit once again proved to be the team’s undoing, as it went 0-for-6 with the man and gave up Couturier’s marker, the league-high fifth shorthanded goal the Jets have surrendered this season.
“Our power play was disappointing,” Jets head coach Claude Noel said after the game. “We didn’t get anything out of it and haven’t been able to through the year, so it’s not like it’s anything new for us.
“Finding solutions to that issue and that problem is certainly a challenge.”
With Friday’s result, Winnipeg now sits 28th in the NHL in power play efficiency (11.5 percent) and is 0-for-12 over its last four games.
The frustrating part, it seems, is that the Jets appeared to turn a corner in mid-November. The PP went 5-for-14 in a four-game stretch against Philadelphia, Minnesota, Calgary and Chicago… but quickly reverted back to its previous form. The Jets have now gone nearly 400 minutes without scoring on the man advantage.
As for other notes from Friday’s game…
— Scott Hartnell scored the opening goal of the game 48 seconds in, his fifth of the year.
— Philly snapped a two-game losing streak with the win; Winnipeg ended a two-game winning streak with the loss.
— Jets forward Evander Kane was knocked out of the game in the first period with a lower-body injury, and didn’t return.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)