Nov 29, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
During the summer, Dustin Penner was in Bruce Boudreau’s doghouse. Now he’s looking like one of the biggest bargains of 2013 free agency, as he helped the Anaheim Ducks take a 5-2 win against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
Penner scored two goals, giving him a three-game goal-scoring streak (five tallies overall). The 31-year-old has almost a point-per-game this season, with 20 in 21 contests. It’s an understatement to say that he’s feeding off of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in a very promising way so far this season.
Penner isn’t the only Ducks addition who continued a hot start to the season. Frederik Anderson stopped 19 out of 21 shots to improve his record to 7-1-0. With Viktor Fasth injured and Jonas Hiller struggling, you have to wonder if Boudreau will lean more heavily on the Denmark native.
Anaheim has wins in three of its last four games, improving to 18-7-3 on the season. Calgary’s flirtation with respectability seems long gone, as the Flames have only won three games – and only one in regulation – this month.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)