Nov 29, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
During the summer, Dustin Penner was in Bruce Boudreau’s doghouse. Now he’s looking like one of the biggest bargains of 2013 free agency, as he helped the Anaheim Ducks take a 5-2 win against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
Penner scored two goals, giving him a three-game goal-scoring streak (five tallies overall). The 31-year-old has almost a point-per-game this season, with 20 in 21 contests. It’s an understatement to say that he’s feeding off of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in a very promising way so far this season.
Penner isn’t the only Ducks addition who continued a hot start to the season. Frederik Anderson stopped 19 out of 21 shots to improve his record to 7-1-0. With Viktor Fasth injured and Jonas Hiller struggling, you have to wonder if Boudreau will lean more heavily on the Denmark native.
Anaheim has wins in three of its last four games, improving to 18-7-3 on the season. Calgary’s flirtation with respectability seems long gone, as the Flames have only won three games – and only one in regulation – this month.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)