Nov 28, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames’ list of ailments has grown by two key ones. The club announced today that veteran defenseman Dennis Wideman (fractured hand, out 6 to 8 weeks) and rookie forward Sean Monahan (hairline fracture in foot, week to week) have been placed on injured reserve.
In response, the Flames have called up center Paul Byron from AHL Abbotsford.
The Flames have just two wins in their last 10 games and are facing a pair of tough outings in Anaheim Friday and Los Angeles Saturday.
Wideman leads Calgary in average ice time (26:15) and has 12 points in 24 games. Suffice to say, his absence will be felt on a team that was already among the NHL’s worst.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6