Nov 28, 2013, 2:07 AM EDT
It certainly had the appearance of a very even game between the San Jose Sharks and L.A. Kings on Monday.
The shots were 40-40 by the end. Regulation time didn’t solve anything. Neither did the five-minute overtime. But the Sharks did outlast the Kings by a final score of 3-2 thanks to Joe Thornton‘s shootout winner, which came in the eighth round.
Took a while for a winner to be decided in this Pacific Division showdown.
“I think both teams like to play against each other. Pretty entertaining night,” said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan, as per David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News.
Although the Kings might feel like this one got away. Thornton was also credited for a goal in the second period, in which the puck, turned over behind the L.A. net, got tangled up in the skates of Ben Scrivens, who guided the puck over the goal line as he went to move backwards in the crease.
Hard to fault Scrivens for the result – he made 38 saves.
That gave San Jose the lead, forcing the Kings to score in the third to force overtime. Drew Doughty did just that, with his fifth of the season, before Thornton prevailed in the breakaway competition.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)