Nov 28, 2013, 2:07 AM EDT
It certainly had the appearance of a very even game between the San Jose Sharks and L.A. Kings on Monday.
The shots were 40-40 by the end. Regulation time didn’t solve anything. Neither did the five-minute overtime. But the Sharks did outlast the Kings by a final score of 3-2 thanks to Joe Thornton‘s shootout winner, which came in the eighth round.
Took a while for a winner to be decided in this Pacific Division showdown.
“I think both teams like to play against each other. Pretty entertaining night,” said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan, as per David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News.
Although the Kings might feel like this one got away. Thornton was also credited for a goal in the second period, in which the puck, turned over behind the L.A. net, got tangled up in the skates of Ben Scrivens, who guided the puck over the goal line as he went to move backwards in the crease.
Hard to fault Scrivens for the result – he made 38 saves.
That gave San Jose the lead, forcing the Kings to score in the third to force overtime. Drew Doughty did just that, with his fifth of the season, before Thornton prevailed in the breakaway competition.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)