Nov 28, 2013, 2:07 AM EDT
It certainly had the appearance of a very even game between the San Jose Sharks and L.A. Kings on Monday.
The shots were 40-40 by the end. Regulation time didn’t solve anything. Neither did the five-minute overtime. But the Sharks did outlast the Kings by a final score of 3-2 thanks to Joe Thornton‘s shootout winner, which came in the eighth round.
Took a while for a winner to be decided in this Pacific Division showdown.
“I think both teams like to play against each other. Pretty entertaining night,” said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan, as per David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News.
Although the Kings might feel like this one got away. Thornton was also credited for a goal in the second period, in which the puck, turned over behind the L.A. net, got tangled up in the skates of Ben Scrivens, who guided the puck over the goal line as he went to move backwards in the crease.
Hard to fault Scrivens for the result – he made 38 saves.
That gave San Jose the lead, forcing the Kings to score in the third to force overtime. Drew Doughty did just that, with his fifth of the season, before Thornton prevailed in the breakaway competition.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)