Nov 28, 2013, 2:07 AM EDT
It certainly had the appearance of a very even game between the San Jose Sharks and L.A. Kings on Monday.
The shots were 40-40 by the end. Regulation time didn’t solve anything. Neither did the five-minute overtime. But the Sharks did outlast the Kings by a final score of 3-2 thanks to Joe Thornton‘s shootout winner, which came in the eighth round.
Took a while for a winner to be decided in this Pacific Division showdown.
“I think both teams like to play against each other. Pretty entertaining night,” said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan, as per David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News.
Although the Kings might feel like this one got away. Thornton was also credited for a goal in the second period, in which the puck, turned over behind the L.A. net, got tangled up in the skates of Ben Scrivens, who guided the puck over the goal line as he went to move backwards in the crease.
Hard to fault Scrivens for the result – he made 38 saves.
That gave San Jose the lead, forcing the Kings to score in the third to force overtime. Drew Doughty did just that, with his fifth of the season, before Thornton prevailed in the breakaway competition.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)