Nov 28, 2013, 2:07 AM EDT
It certainly had the appearance of a very even game between the San Jose Sharks and L.A. Kings on Monday.
The shots were 40-40 by the end. Regulation time didn’t solve anything. Neither did the five-minute overtime. But the Sharks did outlast the Kings by a final score of 3-2 thanks to Joe Thornton‘s shootout winner, which came in the eighth round.
Took a while for a winner to be decided in this Pacific Division showdown.
“I think both teams like to play against each other. Pretty entertaining night,” said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan, as per David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News.
Although the Kings might feel like this one got away. Thornton was also credited for a goal in the second period, in which the puck, turned over behind the L.A. net, got tangled up in the skates of Ben Scrivens, who guided the puck over the goal line as he went to move backwards in the crease.
Hard to fault Scrivens for the result – he made 38 saves.
That gave San Jose the lead, forcing the Kings to score in the third to force overtime. Drew Doughty did just that, with his fifth of the season, before Thornton prevailed in the breakaway competition.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 1
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 27
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)