Nov 28, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have earned just a single victory in their last eight games and that’s caused them to fall five points shy of a playoff spot.
If you had to point to one general thing that’s gone wrong with them lately, it would be their anemic offense as they’ve been held to only one goal on five separate occasions during their recent slump. Still, Canucks coach John Tortorella thinks that goaltender Roberto Luongo isn’t blameless in all of this.
“I’m not letting Lui off the hook, he needs to help us,” Tortorella told the Vancouver Province. “I love our goalie. I love our goalies. I think they’ve played really well.
“We also need a save when there is a breakdown. You look at (Los Angeles Kings goaltender Ben) Scrivens (Monday). We had a chance to go up 3-1. We had four glorious scoring chances, he makes four saves.
“We need something like that to happen for us. I’m not putting all the onus on Lui, but he’s part of the problem here as far as closing out games. It goes right through our team and it goes to the coaching staff, too.”
Luongo has had rough starts to be sure, but he’s been far from bad lately. He’s enjoyed a 2.17 GAA and .916 save percentage this month, but it’s only led to a 3-3-4 record.
He feels he’s been playing well too, although he certainly agrees with Tortorella that there’s room for improvement.
The Canucks will play against Ottawa tonight. If Luongo gets the nod, maybe he’ll be able to find another level and carry the Canucks. Of course, it certainly would help matters if Vancouver’s forwards showed signs of thawing out.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)