Nov 28, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
A day after getting in a war of words with Ken Hitchcock, Patrick Roy turned his criticism towards his own Avs players.
Specifically, Jamie McGinn.
McGinn was demoted to fourth-line duty on Thursday and received a pretty harsh assessment in the process.
“I expect more from him,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Jamie needs to be better offensively, play with more grit in front of the net. He needs to be more physical, he needs to be better defensively.”
So, basically do everything related to hockey… better.
McGinn, 25, has been struggling since opening the season with five points in five games. He has just one goal in his last 15 (granted, it was a OT-winner against the Kings) and went minus-1 in last night’s loss to the Blues.
The Avs have lost four of seven and are in the mist of their roughest patch of the season, so it’s interesting to watch Roy react (and, how he’ll continue to react.) In addition to the McGinn demotion, Roy bumped tough guy Cody McLeod up to the top line and moved pugilist Patrick Bordeleau up to third-line duty with John Mitchell and Max Talbot.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 15
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)