Nov 28, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
A day after getting in a war of words with Ken Hitchcock, Patrick Roy turned his criticism towards his own Avs players.
Specifically, Jamie McGinn.
McGinn was demoted to fourth-line duty on Thursday and received a pretty harsh assessment in the process.
“I expect more from him,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Jamie needs to be better offensively, play with more grit in front of the net. He needs to be more physical, he needs to be better defensively.”
So, basically do everything related to hockey… better.
McGinn, 25, has been struggling since opening the season with five points in five games. He has just one goal in his last 15 (granted, it was a OT-winner against the Kings) and went minus-1 in last night’s loss to the Blues.
The Avs have lost four of seven and are in the mist of their roughest patch of the season, so it’s interesting to watch Roy react (and, how he’ll continue to react.) In addition to the McGinn demotion, Roy bumped tough guy Cody McLeod up to the top line and moved pugilist Patrick Bordeleau up to third-line duty with John Mitchell and Max Talbot.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)