Nov 28, 2013, 7:56 PM EST
A day after getting in a war of words with Ken Hitchcock, Patrick Roy turned his criticism towards his own Avs players.
Specifically, Jamie McGinn.
McGinn was demoted to fourth-line duty on Thursday and received a pretty harsh assessment in the process.
“I expect more from him,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Jamie needs to be better offensively, play with more grit in front of the net. He needs to be more physical, he needs to be better defensively.”
So, basically do everything related to hockey… better.
McGinn, 25, has been struggling since opening the season with five points in five games. He has just one goal in his last 15 (granted, it was a OT-winner against the Kings) and went minus-1 in last night’s loss to the Blues.
The Avs have lost four of seven and are in the mist of their roughest patch of the season, so it’s interesting to watch Roy react (and, how he’ll continue to react.) In addition to the McGinn demotion, Roy bumped tough guy Cody McLeod up to the top line and moved pugilist Patrick Bordeleau up to third-line duty with John Mitchell and Max Talbot.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (94)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)