Nov 28, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
A day after getting in a war of words with Ken Hitchcock, Patrick Roy turned his criticism towards his own Avs players.
Specifically, Jamie McGinn.
McGinn was demoted to fourth-line duty on Thursday and received a pretty harsh assessment in the process.
“I expect more from him,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Jamie needs to be better offensively, play with more grit in front of the net. He needs to be more physical, he needs to be better defensively.”
So, basically do everything related to hockey… better.
McGinn, 25, has been struggling since opening the season with five points in five games. He has just one goal in his last 15 (granted, it was a OT-winner against the Kings) and went minus-1 in last night’s loss to the Blues.
The Avs have lost four of seven and are in the mist of their roughest patch of the season, so it’s interesting to watch Roy react (and, how he’ll continue to react.) In addition to the McGinn demotion, Roy bumped tough guy Cody McLeod up to the top line and moved pugilist Patrick Bordeleau up to third-line duty with John Mitchell and Max Talbot.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 9
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 19
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)