Nov 28, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Lupul suffered the injury during Monday’s 6-0 loss to Columbus and didn’t travel with the club on its current three-game road swing, which began with a 6-5 shootout loss in Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.
In 22 games with the Leafs this season, Lupul has eight goals, 15 points and 18 penalty minutes. The 30-year-old winger missed two games earlier in the year with a bruised foot, and missed extensive time last season with a concussion and broken forearm.
If the Grade 2 groin strain sounds familiar, it should. That’s the same injury L.A. goalie Jonathan Quick suffered two weeks ago, one that has him sidelined until around Christmas and currently on long-term injured reserve. Ergo, it’s very possible Lupul will be out for longer than just the next two games.
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 5
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 16
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)