Nov 28, 2013, 10:53 PM EST
Koivu, 38, suffered the concussion on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky on Oct. 27, but has spent the last few weeks symptom-free, skating with teammates.
One of the team’s two alternate captains — along with Teemu Selanne — Koivu had two goals and three points in 12 games prior to getting hurt and was coming off a pretty solid ’13 campaign in which he put up 27 points in 47 games played.
In anticipation of Koivu’s return, the Ducks sent 21-year-old forwards Devante Smith-Pelly and Emerson Etem to AHL Norfolk yesterday. Anaheim hosts Calgary on Friday.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)