Nov 28, 2013, 10:53 PM EST
Koivu, 38, suffered the concussion on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky on Oct. 27, but has spent the last few weeks symptom-free, skating with teammates.
One of the team’s two alternate captains — along with Teemu Selanne — Koivu had two goals and three points in 12 games prior to getting hurt and was coming off a pretty solid ’13 campaign in which he put up 27 points in 47 games played.
In anticipation of Koivu’s return, the Ducks sent 21-year-old forwards Devante Smith-Pelly and Emerson Etem to AHL Norfolk yesterday. Anaheim hosts Calgary on Friday.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5