Nov 28, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov’s first start for Edmonton couldn’t have gone much better.
The Russian netminder kicked out all 33 shots faced on Thursday night as the Oilers beat the Preds 3-0 in Nashville, earning both his first win and first shutout since joining the Oilers earlier this month.
“It was great,” Bryzgalov said after the game. “Shutouts are always fun.”
The 33-year-old, bought out his nine-year, $51 million with Philly deal in July, stopped 13 shots in the first period and 10 in the second and third. The win came after he made his Oilers debut midweek in relief of Devan Dubnyk during a 5-1 loss to Chicago, in which he stopped 12 of 13 shots — so, all told, Bryzgalov has now surrendered just one marker on 46 shots since joining Edmonton, good for a .978 save percentage.
“Check-marks across the board for him tonight,” head coach Dallas Eakins said. “[Bryzgalov] did a great job.”
With the victory, Edmonton has now won four of five.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)