Nov 28, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
Calvin de Haan is getting his shot.
The Islanders’ first-round pick (12th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — 11 picks after New York took John Tavares No. 1 overall — de Haan has been called up from AHL Bridgeport in favor of fellow blueliner Matt Donovan, who is on his way down.
De Haan, 22, has only appeared in one career NHL contest, during the 2011-12 season, and missed almost all of the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign to a shoulder injury.
That was his third shoulder ailments three years, including one that cost him over a month of Bridgeport’s 2011-12 campaign (de Haan only played in 56 AHL contests that year.)
Now healthy, the former OHL Oshawa standout looks ready to break through for the Isles. The club is slumping badly and in need of a shakeup, which comes at the expense of Donovan, an offensive defenseman that has five points in 22 games this year while averaging just under 17 minutes per night.
Here’s more, from Newsday:
“If I go back during this stretch, if I’d seen that [being consistently outworked and outplayed], that would be one thing,” Capuano said. “It’s been small battles here and there that we’ve lost, and that’s been the message: One or two seconds can cost you.”
That message was sent Thursday to Donovan, whose giveaway in center ice led to the Jets’ second goal during a three-goal Winnipeg second period.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Was traded from Toronto on July 1.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
New Caps coach wants “people who are really good at distributing the puck and making things happen from the middle of the ice.”
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Expected to be healthy for training camp.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 0
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 16
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)