Nov 28, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
Calvin de Haan is getting his shot.
The Islanders’ first-round pick (12th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — 11 picks after New York took John Tavares No. 1 overall — de Haan has been called up from AHL Bridgeport in favor of fellow blueliner Matt Donovan, who is on his way down.
De Haan, 22, has only appeared in one career NHL contest, during the 2011-12 season, and missed almost all of the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign to a shoulder injury.
That was his third shoulder ailments three years, including one that cost him over a month of Bridgeport’s 2011-12 campaign (de Haan only played in 56 AHL contests that year.)
Now healthy, the former OHL Oshawa standout looks ready to break through for the Isles. The club is slumping badly and in need of a shakeup, which comes at the expense of Donovan, an offensive defenseman that has five points in 22 games this year while averaging just under 17 minutes per night.
Here’s more, from Newsday:
“If I go back during this stretch, if I’d seen that [being consistently outworked and outplayed], that would be one thing,” Capuano said. “It’s been small battles here and there that we’ve lost, and that’s been the message: One or two seconds can cost you.”
That message was sent Thursday to Donovan, whose giveaway in center ice led to the Jets’ second goal during a three-goal Winnipeg second period.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Jean-Sebastien Giguere with a good line.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Bob helped Columbus move into third in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
In a related story, Connor McDavid is draft-eligible next summer.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The game also happens to be fairly huge for both teams.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Minnesota is 10-1-1 all-time versus Boston. Which you may find surprising.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Dallas has made a habit of collapsing late in the season.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
His return couldn’t come at a better time.
Mar 17, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Ottawa’s nine points out with 15 games to play.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s had issues all season long.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Boston has won eight straight games.
Mar 17, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start the day.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Also an update on the East.
Mar 16, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Mar 16, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Winnipeg takes early advantage over Dallas Stars.
Mar 16, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
At least Buffalo isn’t in a playoff chase.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Did Carl Hagelin score? Judge for yourself.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Also included: video of Kevin Bieksa’s impressive “save.”
Mar 16, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
The rivalry relocated.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Tough loss for a player on a hot streak.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
It will begin 1-0, but with a full 60-minute game.
- Report: NHL pondering more draft lottery changes 2
- Playoff bubble watch — Stars edition 1
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 10
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 22
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 8
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 10
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)