Nov 28, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Yes, Ilya Bryzgalov will start in goal for the Edmonton Oilers tonight, and that will certainly be something to watch. But you know what else deserves a mention? That would be the Oilers’ opponent, the Nashville Predators, who’ve won five of their last six while beating some pretty good teams along the way.
How have they done it?
Well, after a shaky start to his NHL career, Preds goalie Marek Mazanec has settled down and managed to up his save percentage to an impressive .935. The 22-year-old earned his second shutout of the season Wednesday versus the Blue Jackets and is giving Nashville the goaltending it needs in Pekka Rinne‘s absence.
“I thought guys were pretty committed,” coach Barry Trotz said after the Columbus game, per The Tennessean. “We know we have some ground to make up here.”
Indeed they do. Despite the 10 points they’ve picked up in their last six games, the Preds are still six points back of a playoff spot in the Western Conference. However, with four winnable home games coming up — versus Edmonton, Philadelphia, Vancouver and Carolina — they could make up even more ground over the next week.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)