Nov 28, 2013, 12:44 AM EST
Four straight losses would be enough to leave most NHL coaches extremely frustrated.
Add Adam Oates to the list, particularly after the way his Washington Capitals tossed away a two-goal lead after the first period in a 6-4 loss to the visiting Ottawa Senators on Wednesday night. Two points, gone.
The Senators erupted for five goals in the final 40 minutes of play, including a soft winning goal on a wrist shot from Zack Smith that got through Braden Holtby. The Senators were also three-for-six on the power play, which was a major factor in the win.
Count it. Four straight losses – one of those did come in the shootout.
“Yelling is irrelevant, that’s high school for me. If the guys don’t know we let one get away, shame on them,” Oates said afterward, as per CSN Washington.
“I’m going to tell them, but if they walk away and they’re not upset, then there’s nothing any coach can do to change that.”
This turmoil comes after a pair of Capitals have demanded trades in recent days.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)