Nov 28, 2013, 1:40 AM EST
It was all going so well for the Calgary Flames, poised to pull off the upset against the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday.
Kane and Sharp scored 56 seconds apart in the third period to erase Calgary’s two-goal lead. The Blackhawks jump back in front of the St. Louis Blues for the Central Division lead by a single point.
With the two teams deadlocked late in the third period, Kane scored the winning goal with 18 seconds remaining in regulation to complete the comeback. It was his second of the night. The goal also came off an icing call to the Flames just a few seconds before that, giving the Blackhawks their choice of which line to put out.
It came back to bite the Flames, who took a 2-0 lead earlier in the period on a goal by rookie Sean Monahan.
“There’s nights like that where you work really hard for it … You think you deserve it and, in the end, you walk out and get a kick in the butt,” Flames forward Sven Baertschi, as per Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun.
The win was also the first of goalie Antti Raanta’s career – in his first start, no less. The Blackhawks 24-year-old puck stopper made 20 saves, but apparently had to deal with some nerves before the game.
Wait. Did we say nerves?
“Game day naptime was pretty awful. I was having some nightmares,” said Raanta, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.
“He made numerous saves he’s not expected to make, but he made them. He was our best player tonight for sure, 100 percent,” said Kane of Raanta, according to Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)