Nov 28, 2013, 1:40 AM EDT
It was all going so well for the Calgary Flames, poised to pull off the upset against the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday.
Kane and Sharp scored 56 seconds apart in the third period to erase Calgary’s two-goal lead. The Blackhawks jump back in front of the St. Louis Blues for the Central Division lead by a single point.
With the two teams deadlocked late in the third period, Kane scored the winning goal with 18 seconds remaining in regulation to complete the comeback. It was his second of the night. The goal also came off an icing call to the Flames just a few seconds before that, giving the Blackhawks their choice of which line to put out.
It came back to bite the Flames, who took a 2-0 lead earlier in the period on a goal by rookie Sean Monahan.
“There’s nights like that where you work really hard for it … You think you deserve it and, in the end, you walk out and get a kick in the butt,” Flames forward Sven Baertschi, as per Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun.
The win was also the first of goalie Antti Raanta’s career – in his first start, no less. The Blackhawks 24-year-old puck stopper made 20 saves, but apparently had to deal with some nerves before the game.
Wait. Did we say nerves?
“Game day naptime was pretty awful. I was having some nightmares,” said Raanta, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.
“He made numerous saves he’s not expected to make, but he made them. He was our best player tonight for sure, 100 percent,” said Kane of Raanta, according to Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)