Nov 27, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
It appears the Dec. 31 submission date for Olympic rosters has been moved by a week.
The new deadline will be either Jan. 6 or Jan. 7, according to ESPN sources. News of the extended submission date will come as a surprise to many and probably raise some eyebrows, given that ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun appeared on TSN’s Insider Trading on Tuesday evening and confirmed the date wouldn’t be moved.
“The message from [IIHF president Rene] Fasel to Russia, Sweden, Finland — who wanted to extend the deadline — is no,” LeBrun said. “The deal we made with the NHL and NHLPA will remain, Dec. 31.”
It’s unclear why the deadline is being extended, or why the federations LeBrun mentioned were keen to have it pushed.
USA Hockey had planned to announce its roster during the Winter Classic broadcast on Jan. 1 (ESPN also reports that Team USA had been given an exemption to the original Dec. 31 deadline).
Update No. 1
More, from LeBrun:
Sources indicate that while he was standing firm against pressure from Russia, Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic to move the deadline, Fasel was back-channeling with the NHLPA and NHL on Tuesday and Wednesday to see if there was any wiggle room at all — with the key person to convince being NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr.
The NHLPA likes the early roster deadline because it allows players who are selected to plan ahead and make plans with family members, etc. For the NHL, it’s more about marketing. Thus, Fehr was the key cog who needed convincing.
The Russians, Swedes, Finns and Czechs were pushing for a Jan. 15 deadline, two weeks after the original deadline. In the end, the NHLPA and NHL signed off on moving the deadline to Jan. 7.
And I’m guessing the NHLPA garnered a nice future favor from the IIHF for this; that’s how these things work.
Update No. 2
According to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, USA Hockey is “definitely” sticking to its Jan. 1 date of unveiling its Olympic roster.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Click the link to see the pictures.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
The goaltender was sent to the AHL for a pair of games over the weekend.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Was hit by a Ryan Suter point shot in the second period.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Defenseman Sami Vatanen has first career two-goal game
Oct 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Five years with an annual average value of $4.6 million.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Responds to being a healthy scratch by showing up on the scoresheet.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Suffered shoulder injury Saturday.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Lundqvist makes 33 saves for his first shutout of the season.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
St. Louis and Nash give Rangers a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
St. Louis visits Anaheim tonight.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Appeared in two AHL games on conditioning assignment.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
L.A. hangs on for 2-1 win.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
He’s played in 878 career games.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Jokipakka recalled. Nichushkin placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
That could have ended badly.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
“I’m just getting tired.”
Oct 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
When he’s healthy, the Canucks will have to decide if he fits into their lineup.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)