Nov 27, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Zach Parise was ruled out for 2-3 weeks with a foot contusion suffered during a loss to St. Louis.
On Wednesday, he set about challenging that timetable.
Parise took the Wild’s morning skate — much to the surprise of “stunned” head coach Mike Yeo — but will still sit for tonight’s game against Phoenix, according to the Wild.
Despite being ruled out, Parise still managed to raise the spirits of the team.
“It’s very encouraging,” Yeo said, as per the Star-Tribune. “It’s a great example to everybody just how bad he wants to compete and help the team.”
Parise, one of Minnesota’s alternate captains, said the 2-3 week timetable for return means nothing to him. He wants to play hockey, and wants to accelerate his recovery.
“I’m more so taking it day by day and seeing how I feel and getting some treatment,” he explained. “Hopefully I’ll be more comfortable [Thursday] and see what happens. I understand you have to, but I don’t like to put a timeframe on things.
“I’ll try to play when I can.”
Parise took regular line rushes this morning but said his foot “hurt too much to try and be able to play.” He acknowledged he wouldn’t be as effective as he’s used to, and that lack of comfort could hurt the team.
That said, he’s still not happy about missing Wednesday’s affair.
“I don’t like to miss games,” he said. “I don’t want to sit out.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)