Nov 27, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Zach Parise was ruled out for 2-3 weeks with a foot contusion suffered during a loss to St. Louis.
On Wednesday, he set about challenging that timetable.
Parise took the Wild’s morning skate — much to the surprise of “stunned” head coach Mike Yeo — but will still sit for tonight’s game against Phoenix, according to the Wild.
Despite being ruled out, Parise still managed to raise the spirits of the team.
“It’s very encouraging,” Yeo said, as per the Star-Tribune. “It’s a great example to everybody just how bad he wants to compete and help the team.”
Parise, one of Minnesota’s alternate captains, said the 2-3 week timetable for return means nothing to him. He wants to play hockey, and wants to accelerate his recovery.
“I’m more so taking it day by day and seeing how I feel and getting some treatment,” he explained. “Hopefully I’ll be more comfortable [Thursday] and see what happens. I understand you have to, but I don’t like to put a timeframe on things.
“I’ll try to play when I can.”
Parise took regular line rushes this morning but said his foot “hurt too much to try and be able to play.” He acknowledged he wouldn’t be as effective as he’s used to, and that lack of comfort could hurt the team.
That said, he’s still not happy about missing Wednesday’s affair.
“I don’t like to miss games,” he said. “I don’t want to sit out.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)