Nov 27, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Zach Parise was ruled out for 2-3 weeks with a foot contusion suffered during a loss to St. Louis.
On Wednesday, he set about challenging that timetable.
Parise took the Wild’s morning skate — much to the surprise of “stunned” head coach Mike Yeo — but will still sit for tonight’s game against Phoenix, according to the Wild.
Despite being ruled out, Parise still managed to raise the spirits of the team.
“It’s very encouraging,” Yeo said, as per the Star-Tribune. “It’s a great example to everybody just how bad he wants to compete and help the team.”
Parise, one of Minnesota’s alternate captains, said the 2-3 week timetable for return means nothing to him. He wants to play hockey, and wants to accelerate his recovery.
“I’m more so taking it day by day and seeing how I feel and getting some treatment,” he explained. “Hopefully I’ll be more comfortable [Thursday] and see what happens. I understand you have to, but I don’t like to put a timeframe on things.
“I’ll try to play when I can.”
Parise took regular line rushes this morning but said his foot “hurt too much to try and be able to play.” He acknowledged he wouldn’t be as effective as he’s used to, and that lack of comfort could hurt the team.
That said, he’s still not happy about missing Wednesday’s affair.
“I don’t like to miss games,” he said. “I don’t want to sit out.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)