Nov 27, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Zach Parise was ruled out for 2-3 weeks with a foot contusion suffered during a loss to St. Louis.
On Wednesday, he set about challenging that timetable.
Parise took the Wild’s morning skate — much to the surprise of “stunned” head coach Mike Yeo — but will still sit for tonight’s game against Phoenix, according to the Wild.
Despite being ruled out, Parise still managed to raise the spirits of the team.
“It’s very encouraging,” Yeo said, as per the Star-Tribune. “It’s a great example to everybody just how bad he wants to compete and help the team.”
Parise, one of Minnesota’s alternate captains, said the 2-3 week timetable for return means nothing to him. He wants to play hockey, and wants to accelerate his recovery.
“I’m more so taking it day by day and seeing how I feel and getting some treatment,” he explained. “Hopefully I’ll be more comfortable [Thursday] and see what happens. I understand you have to, but I don’t like to put a timeframe on things.
“I’ll try to play when I can.”
Parise took regular line rushes this morning but said his foot “hurt too much to try and be able to play.” He acknowledged he wouldn’t be as effective as he’s used to, and that lack of comfort could hurt the team.
That said, he’s still not happy about missing Wednesday’s affair.
“I don’t like to miss games,” he said. “I don’t want to sit out.”
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)