Nov 27, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Zach Parise was ruled out for 2-3 weeks with a foot contusion suffered during a loss to St. Louis.
On Wednesday, he set about challenging that timetable.
Parise took the Wild’s morning skate — much to the surprise of “stunned” head coach Mike Yeo — but will still sit for tonight’s game against Phoenix, according to the Wild.
Despite being ruled out, Parise still managed to raise the spirits of the team.
“It’s very encouraging,” Yeo said, as per the Star-Tribune. “It’s a great example to everybody just how bad he wants to compete and help the team.”
Parise, one of Minnesota’s alternate captains, said the 2-3 week timetable for return means nothing to him. He wants to play hockey, and wants to accelerate his recovery.
“I’m more so taking it day by day and seeing how I feel and getting some treatment,” he explained. “Hopefully I’ll be more comfortable [Thursday] and see what happens. I understand you have to, but I don’t like to put a timeframe on things.
“I’ll try to play when I can.”
Parise took regular line rushes this morning but said his foot “hurt too much to try and be able to play.” He acknowledged he wouldn’t be as effective as he’s used to, and that lack of comfort could hurt the team.
That said, he’s still not happy about missing Wednesday’s affair.
“I don’t like to miss games,” he said. “I don’t want to sit out.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)