Nov 27, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
Both the New York Post and Bergen Record have stories out bemoaning the Rangers’ lack of offense — New York sits 28th in the NHL in goals per game, at 2.00 — and each publication has focused on one quote in particular from head coach Alain Vigneault.
“We’re getting quality chances,” Vigneault explained. “[But 24 games], there’s a segment that tells us we’re not scoring a lot. Maybe we have to play even tighter to the vest than we are and go into games with that mentality of 2-1.”
If that “2-1 mentality” line sounds strange, it should. Upon dismissing John Tortorella as head coach at the end of last season — a year in which the Rangers only mustered 2.62 goals per game — GM Glen Sather alluded to a stagnant offense and lack of scoring as two major reasons why Tortorella was fired.
What’s more, Sather championed how much Vigneault “loved the offensive game” upon hiring him in June.
“[Vigneault] loves the offensive game, which I think a lot of us do today,” Sather said. “Today’s game has changed, and I particularly enjoy that style of game. That’s not to criticize anyone that likes the defensive part of hockey because I think you need that as well. The game has changed a little bit in the last three to four years.
“If you’re watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs today, you’ll see that there’s a lot more offense going on. … I like his style of play and I like how his players have reacted to him over the years.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Rangers react to Vigneault’s latest “tight to the vest” assertion, because they sound almost desperate to score.
Brad Richards told the Record that “enough is enough” regarding the anemic offense, while Derek Stepan told the Post the lack of scoring has reached a point where the Rangers would “put the puck through the goalie if that’s what it takes.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)