Nov 27, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
Both the New York Post and Bergen Record have stories out bemoaning the Rangers’ lack of offense — New York sits 28th in the NHL in goals per game, at 2.00 — and each publication has focused on one quote in particular from head coach Alain Vigneault.
“We’re getting quality chances,” Vigneault explained. “[But 24 games], there’s a segment that tells us we’re not scoring a lot. Maybe we have to play even tighter to the vest than we are and go into games with that mentality of 2-1.”
If that “2-1 mentality” line sounds strange, it should. Upon dismissing John Tortorella as head coach at the end of last season — a year in which the Rangers only mustered 2.62 goals per game — GM Glen Sather alluded to a stagnant offense and lack of scoring as two major reasons why Tortorella was fired.
What’s more, Sather championed how much Vigneault “loved the offensive game” upon hiring him in June.
“[Vigneault] loves the offensive game, which I think a lot of us do today,” Sather said. “Today’s game has changed, and I particularly enjoy that style of game. That’s not to criticize anyone that likes the defensive part of hockey because I think you need that as well. The game has changed a little bit in the last three to four years.
“If you’re watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs today, you’ll see that there’s a lot more offense going on. … I like his style of play and I like how his players have reacted to him over the years.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Rangers react to Vigneault’s latest “tight to the vest” assertion, because they sound almost desperate to score.
Brad Richards told the Record that “enough is enough” regarding the anemic offense, while Derek Stepan told the Post the lack of scoring has reached a point where the Rangers would “put the puck through the goalie if that’s what it takes.”
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 3
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)