Nov 27, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
Both the New York Post and Bergen Record have stories out bemoaning the Rangers’ lack of offense — New York sits 28th in the NHL in goals per game, at 2.00 — and each publication has focused on one quote in particular from head coach Alain Vigneault.
“We’re getting quality chances,” Vigneault explained. “[But 24 games], there’s a segment that tells us we’re not scoring a lot. Maybe we have to play even tighter to the vest than we are and go into games with that mentality of 2-1.”
If that “2-1 mentality” line sounds strange, it should. Upon dismissing John Tortorella as head coach at the end of last season — a year in which the Rangers only mustered 2.62 goals per game — GM Glen Sather alluded to a stagnant offense and lack of scoring as two major reasons why Tortorella was fired.
What’s more, Sather championed how much Vigneault “loved the offensive game” upon hiring him in June.
“[Vigneault] loves the offensive game, which I think a lot of us do today,” Sather said. “Today’s game has changed, and I particularly enjoy that style of game. That’s not to criticize anyone that likes the defensive part of hockey because I think you need that as well. The game has changed a little bit in the last three to four years.
“If you’re watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs today, you’ll see that there’s a lot more offense going on. … I like his style of play and I like how his players have reacted to him over the years.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Rangers react to Vigneault’s latest “tight to the vest” assertion, because they sound almost desperate to score.
Brad Richards told the Record that “enough is enough” regarding the anemic offense, while Derek Stepan told the Post the lack of scoring has reached a point where the Rangers would “put the puck through the goalie if that’s what it takes.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)