Nov 27, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
Both the New York Post and Bergen Record have stories out bemoaning the Rangers’ lack of offense — New York sits 28th in the NHL in goals per game, at 2.00 — and each publication has focused on one quote in particular from head coach Alain Vigneault.
“We’re getting quality chances,” Vigneault explained. “[But 24 games], there’s a segment that tells us we’re not scoring a lot. Maybe we have to play even tighter to the vest than we are and go into games with that mentality of 2-1.”
If that “2-1 mentality” line sounds strange, it should. Upon dismissing John Tortorella as head coach at the end of last season — a year in which the Rangers only mustered 2.62 goals per game — GM Glen Sather alluded to a stagnant offense and lack of scoring as two major reasons why Tortorella was fired.
What’s more, Sather championed how much Vigneault “loved the offensive game” upon hiring him in June.
“[Vigneault] loves the offensive game, which I think a lot of us do today,” Sather said. “Today’s game has changed, and I particularly enjoy that style of game. That’s not to criticize anyone that likes the defensive part of hockey because I think you need that as well. The game has changed a little bit in the last three to four years.
“If you’re watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs today, you’ll see that there’s a lot more offense going on. … I like his style of play and I like how his players have reacted to him over the years.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Rangers react to Vigneault’s latest “tight to the vest” assertion, because they sound almost desperate to score.
Brad Richards told the Record that “enough is enough” regarding the anemic offense, while Derek Stepan told the Post the lack of scoring has reached a point where the Rangers would “put the puck through the goalie if that’s what it takes.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)