Nov 27, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning acknowledged one of the greatest players in franchise history on Wednesday, and did it in style.
Flyers forward Vincent Lecavalier — who spent the first 14 years of his career with the Bolts — played his first game as an opponent in Tampa tonight, and both his former organization and its fans paid tribute:
Here’s the tribute video in full:
Bought out of his 11-year, $85 million deal in July, Lecavalier was a beloved figure in the area and known for community involvement — in 2007, he pledged $3 million to a pediatric cancer center (that bears his name) at the All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg.
On the ice, he was an instrumental figure on the club’s first and only Stanley Cup-winning team and served two stints as captain, for a grand total of six seasons with the “C” on his sweater.
He also left as the Lightning’s all-time leader in games played (1,037), goals (383), power play goals (112) and game-winning goals (60).
In another classy gesture, the Lightning named Lecavalier the 12th “Lightning Community Hero” of the year during the first period and awarded his foundation a $50,000 donation.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)