Nov 27, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning acknowledged one of the greatest players in franchise history on Wednesday, and did it in style.
Flyers forward Vincent Lecavalier — who spent the first 14 years of his career with the Bolts — played his first game as an opponent in Tampa tonight, and both his former organization and its fans paid tribute:
Here’s the tribute video in full:
Bought out of his 11-year, $85 million deal in July, Lecavalier was a beloved figure in the area and known for community involvement — in 2007, he pledged $3 million to a pediatric cancer center (that bears his name) at the All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg.
On the ice, he was an instrumental figure on the club’s first and only Stanley Cup-winning team and served two stints as captain, for a grand total of six seasons with the “C” on his sweater.
He also left as the Lightning’s all-time leader in games played (1,037), goals (383), power play goals (112) and game-winning goals (60).
In another classy gesture, the Lightning named Lecavalier the 12th “Lightning Community Hero” of the year during the first period and awarded his foundation a $50,000 donation.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)