Nov 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed forward Frederik Gauthier to an entry-level deal, the team announced on Wednesday.
Gauthier, 18, was the club’s first-round pick (21st overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Scouts were high on his size — 6-foot-5, 214 pounds — and offensive ability, as he finished fourth among rookies in scoring in the QMJHL last season.
Heading into the draft, Gauthier was ranked as the No. 8 North American skater.
This year, the Rimouski product has 21 points in 21 games and was named to the QMHJL select team that played Russia in the two-game Subway Super Series played on Nov. 18 and 20.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)