Nov 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed forward Frederik Gauthier to an entry-level deal, the team announced on Wednesday.
Gauthier, 18, was the club’s first-round pick (21st overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Scouts were high on his size — 6-foot-5, 214 pounds — and offensive ability, as he finished fourth among rookies in scoring in the QMJHL last season.
Heading into the draft, Gauthier was ranked as the No. 8 North American skater.
This year, the Rimouski product has 21 points in 21 games and was named to the QMHJL select team that played Russia in the two-game Subway Super Series played on Nov. 18 and 20.
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 12
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12