Nov 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed forward Frederik Gauthier to an entry-level deal, the team announced on Wednesday.
Gauthier, 18, was the club’s first-round pick (21st overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Scouts were high on his size — 6-foot-5, 214 pounds — and offensive ability, as he finished fourth among rookies in scoring in the QMJHL last season.
Heading into the draft, Gauthier was ranked as the No. 8 North American skater.
This year, the Rimouski product has 21 points in 21 games and was named to the QMHJL select team that played Russia in the two-game Subway Super Series played on Nov. 18 and 20.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)