Nov 27, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is still scoring lots of goals for the Washington Capitals. In fact, he’s scored seven times in his last six games.
Here’s the difference though: Of Ovechkin’s last seven goals, only one has been on the power play. Of the 13 goals he scored previously, seven were with the man advantage.
That’s no coincidence. It’s just Washington’s opponents doing their homework.
“You can see how tight they play against me on the power play,” Ovechkin said, per CSN Washington. “It’s good for different players on our team, good for [defensemen John Carlson and Mike Green] to shoot the puck. I’m going to be covered but someone else can score. When we’re 5-on-4 we have to score from the blue line. If they cover me they’re going to be open and they just have to score.”
Unfortunately for the Caps, “they” haven’t been scoring. In Washington’s last seven games, the power play is just 2-for-23.
So for now, expect teams to keep playing Ovechkin tight, which includes taking away his dangerous one-timer from the left side.
“We need everybody to score so they can’t take [Ovechkin] away,” said head coach Adam Oates. “When we do, it’ll open up more offense.”
Winless in their last three, the Caps host the Sens tonight and Montreal Friday.
PS — I don’t want to say I saw this coming a month ago, but…
One thing I noticed last night: Canucks did not let Ovechkin get free for one-timer on Caps' power play. Played him real close.—
Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) October 29, 2013
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)