Nov 27, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is still scoring lots of goals for the Washington Capitals. In fact, he’s scored seven times in his last six games.
Here’s the difference though: Of Ovechkin’s last seven goals, only one has been on the power play. Of the 13 goals he scored previously, seven were with the man advantage.
That’s no coincidence. It’s just Washington’s opponents doing their homework.
“You can see how tight they play against me on the power play,” Ovechkin said, per CSN Washington. “It’s good for different players on our team, good for [defensemen John Carlson and Mike Green] to shoot the puck. I’m going to be covered but someone else can score. When we’re 5-on-4 we have to score from the blue line. If they cover me they’re going to be open and they just have to score.”
Unfortunately for the Caps, “they” haven’t been scoring. In Washington’s last seven games, the power play is just 2-for-23.
So for now, expect teams to keep playing Ovechkin tight, which includes taking away his dangerous one-timer from the left side.
“We need everybody to score so they can’t take [Ovechkin] away,” said head coach Adam Oates. “When we do, it’ll open up more offense.”
Winless in their last three, the Caps host the Sens tonight and Montreal Friday.
PS — I don’t want to say I saw this coming a month ago, but…
One thing I noticed last night: Canucks did not let Ovechkin get free for one-timer on Caps' power play. Played him real close.—
Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) October 29, 2013
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)