Nov 27, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin is still scoring lots of goals for the Washington Capitals. In fact, he’s scored seven times in his last six games.
Here’s the difference though: Of Ovechkin’s last seven goals, only one has been on the power play. Of the 13 goals he scored previously, seven were with the man advantage.
That’s no coincidence. It’s just Washington’s opponents doing their homework.
“You can see how tight they play against me on the power play,” Ovechkin said, per CSN Washington. “It’s good for different players on our team, good for [defensemen John Carlson and Mike Green] to shoot the puck. I’m going to be covered but someone else can score. When we’re 5-on-4 we have to score from the blue line. If they cover me they’re going to be open and they just have to score.”
Unfortunately for the Caps, “they” haven’t been scoring. In Washington’s last seven games, the power play is just 2-for-23.
So for now, expect teams to keep playing Ovechkin tight, which includes taking away his dangerous one-timer from the left side.
“We need everybody to score so they can’t take [Ovechkin] away,” said head coach Adam Oates. “When we do, it’ll open up more offense.”
Winless in their last three, the Caps host the Sens tonight and Montreal Friday.
PS — I don’t want to say I saw this coming a month ago, but…
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)