Nov 27, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
There was a time when David Booth was a rising star in the NHL, but now he’s 29 years old and the owner of an albatross six-year, $25 million contract.
The Vancouver Canucks have only put him in 14 games this season and head coach John Tortorella doesn’t use him that much even when he’s in the lineup. It has gotten to the point where Canucks GM Mike Gillis bluntly said that Booth needs to “play harder.”
As far as Booth is concerned though, a big part of his problem is that he has been slowed by lower-body injuries. To that end, he is interested in hiring a non-Canucks coach to help him with his skating.
“I’ve worked with (a skating coach) in Michigan, but I couldn’t do it (last summer, because of injury rehab),” Booth told the Vancouver Province. “I think I learn well. I haven’t worked with anyone (locally) yet, we’re still trying to figure that out.”
This isn’t the first time Booth has pointed to his skating as an issue, but Gillis suggested that there are no easy answers to this problem. He added that Booth has had “a lot of philosophical meetings” with his coaches.
For his part, Tortorella sees Booth as a project and thinks the Canucks forward needs to regain his confidence.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)