Nov 27, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
Consider it two points thrown away by the Washington Capitals on Wednesday.
The Capitals scored three times in the opening period, forging a two-goal lead over the Ottawa Senators, but ended up losing 6-4 on home ice.
Smith broke into the Washington zone down the left side and managed to get his quick wrist shot through Holtby, who allowed five goals on 40 shots.
The Smith winner also came just 2:23 remaining in regulation time and one minute and four seconds after the Capitals tied the game at four goals apiece on a power play blast from John Carlson.
Just so happened that on Washington’s third-period tying goal, Smith was in the penalty box for kneeing Carlson. Funny world.
The Capitals, given the result, won’t think it’s so funny. Their night came unraveled after the opening period. Ottawa got five goals in the final 40 minutes.
For the Senators, it was just their second win in the last six games. They host the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday.
Meanwhile, the Capitals have now lost four straight, including a shootout defeat to Toronto last Saturday.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)