Nov 27, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
According to MLive, the deal is worth $25.5 million for an average annual cap hit of $4.25 million.
Ericsson, 29, has spent his entire seven-year career in Detroit and is currently in the final season of a three-year, $9.75 million deal signed in 2011.
The Wings’ ninth-round pick (291st overall!) at the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Ericsson rose to prominence during the 2009 Stanley Cup run, in which he finished with four goals and eight points over 22 games, averaging 18:44 TOI per night.
While he’s struggled to find that impressive form in subsequent years, Ericsson has remained a fairly steady presence on the Detroit blueline and shouldered an increased load last season, following the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom. Ericsson averaged a career-high 21:19 TOI in ’13, scoring three goals and 13 points in 45 games.
The 6-foot-4, 220-pound rearguard has been solid again this season, scoring five points in 15 games despite missing significant time with an upper-body injury. He’s also averaging over 22 minutes per game.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)