PHT Morning Skate: Capitals remain supportive of Erat after trade request

Nov 27, 2013, 7:58 AM EDT

CALGARY, AB - OCTOBER 26: Martin Erat #10 of the Washington Capitals skates against the Calgary Flames during an NHL game at Scotiabank Saddledome on October 26, 2013 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. (Photo by Derek Leung/Getty Images) Getty Images

PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.

Martin Erat is getting plenty of support from his teammates after demanding a trade. (Washington Post)

Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Wednesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $600. Starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.

With the New York Islanders rapidly fading, John Tavares is facing his first big trial as an NHL captain. (Newsday)

St. Louis Blues goaltending prospect Jake Allen has been great with the AHL Chicago Wolves this season. Blues GM Doug Armstrong called Allen a “victim of circumstance,” but that could change given that both Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott are in the final season of their respective contracts. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)

The Pittsburgh Penguins are on the verge of their 300th straight sellout. (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review)

Buffalo Sabres interim coach Ted Nolan spoke yesterday about the importance of doing “the simple things.” (Buffalo News)

Florida Panthers captain Ed Jovanovski is working out, but there’s still no timetable for his return from a hip injury. (Miami Herald)

Highlights from Dallas’ 6-3 win over Anaheim:

1. patthehockeyfan - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I clicked the link and read the Washington Post article. Erat’s teammates had nothing but good things to say about him.

I remember when this story broke on Monday. One of the commentators on either the NHL Network or on NBCSN warned, “Be careful what you wish for.” He explained that Erat could be traded to a poor team with no chance of making the playoffs, or remain with the Caps to see post-season play. (I carefully chose the word “see” post-season play. It’s obvious Erat would rather “play.”)

Erat sounds like a good guy. Whatever happens, I wish him the best.

• ibieiniid - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I don’t wanna be the buzzkill… but only Holtby said anything GOOD about him, and I doubt Holtby would ever speak ill of a teammate. oh ya, that’s another part of it, he hasn’t yet been traded. talking their sh** right now would surely make for an awkward situation if nobody wants to take his 4.5mil hit. plus, it’s not the teammates that should be pissed at him anyway. if anybody, it’s the fans.

• patthehockeyfan - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Be honest, ibieiniid. You LIVE to be a buzzkill to my comments.

I’M KIDDING!! :)

Whether I agree with them or not, I always enjoy reading your remarks. And, you might be right about Erat. Time will tell.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• ibieiniid - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

lol you’re right, I do tend to inadvertently troll from time to time.
        but yeah, I’ve seen only insight from you also. only good comments.

The Caps are my 2nd team, so I got a bit pissed at Erat. he’s done nothing for this team to earn the minutes he wants. he did almost the same thing later on in Nashville. it seems like he’s unable to accept the fact that his career has fallen off a bit, and blames his poor play on low minutes. I could see him somewhere back in the southeast states though. FLA has the cap space…. but idk if the owner is willing to spend 4.5mil more and also give up some prospects/picks. eh, i’m not good at speculating trades.

happy thxgiving

2. bekay19 - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I know there are a lot of Bruins haters out there but this is a good inside look at leadership inside an NHL locker room. say what you want about Chara but he has all the intangibles of a true leader

• ibieiniid - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I’d pay damn good money for the audio of Chara doing Rosetta Stone – French.

3. steelers88 - Nov 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

If I were the Penguins I would be very interested in Erat. The Pens have tons of injuries and they need some offensive help.

• jmodean - Nov 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM

The Pens would be a great fit for Erat, but if GM GM traded not only in the division but to the Pens be would have most of DC calling for his job.

• ibieiniid - Nov 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

psst. he already does. go check out any capitals facebook post, especially the one from this AM about Strachan.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches