Nov 27, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
Wednesday night was one to forget for Marc-Andre Fleury.
The Penguins goalie got the hook just 13 seconds into the second period after Toronto burned him for three goals on 11 shots, paving the way for little-used backup Jeff Zatkoff to enter the contest.
Toronto didn’t let up upon Zatkoff’s entrance, though. Phil Kessel sniped his 13th goal of the year on the first shot the former Miami of Ohio standout faced to give the Leafs a 4-1 lead.
The real story, though, was Toronto’s ability to chase Fleury despite being out-shot at the time of his departure. James van Riemsdyk started it off with a goal just 5:09 into the contest — negating Chris Conner’s opening tally — and, six minutes later, it was Nazem Kadri making it 2-1 with his seventh goal of the year.
At the start of the second frame, JVR was at it again, taking advantage of a Fleury stickhandling gaffe to score his 11th of the season. Fleury smashed his stick twice in frustration, as this marked the first time all season he’s been yanked from a start.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)