Nov 27, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
Wednesday night was one to forget for Marc-Andre Fleury.
The Penguins goalie got the hook just 13 seconds into the second period after Toronto burned him for three goals on 11 shots, paving the way for little-used backup Jeff Zatkoff to enter the contest.
Toronto didn’t let up upon Zatkoff’s entrance, though. Phil Kessel sniped his 13th goal of the year on the first shot the former Miami of Ohio standout faced to give the Leafs a 4-1 lead.
The real story, though, was Toronto’s ability to chase Fleury despite being out-shot at the time of his departure. James van Riemsdyk started it off with a goal just 5:09 into the contest — negating Chris Conner’s opening tally — and, six minutes later, it was Nazem Kadri making it 2-1 with his seventh goal of the year.
At the start of the second frame, JVR was at it again, taking advantage of a Fleury stickhandling gaffe to score his 11th of the season. Fleury smashed his stick twice in frustration, as this marked the first time all season he’s been yanked from a start.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)