Nov 27, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
Wednesday night was one to forget for Marc-Andre Fleury.
The Penguins goalie got the hook just 13 seconds into the second period after Toronto burned him for three goals on 11 shots, paving the way for little-used backup Jeff Zatkoff to enter the contest.
Toronto didn’t let up upon Zatkoff’s entrance, though. Phil Kessel sniped his 13th goal of the year on the first shot the former Miami of Ohio standout faced to give the Leafs a 4-1 lead.
The real story, though, was Toronto’s ability to chase Fleury despite being out-shot at the time of his departure. James van Riemsdyk started it off with a goal just 5:09 into the contest — negating Chris Conner’s opening tally — and, six minutes later, it was Nazem Kadri making it 2-1 with his seventh goal of the year.
At the start of the second frame, JVR was at it again, taking advantage of a Fleury stickhandling gaffe to score his 11th of the season. Fleury smashed his stick twice in frustration, as this marked the first time all season he’s been yanked from a start.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 25
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 67
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (69)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)