Nov 27, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
Wednesday night was one to forget for Marc-Andre Fleury.
The Penguins goalie got the hook just 13 seconds into the second period after Toronto burned him for three goals on 11 shots, paving the way for little-used backup Jeff Zatkoff to enter the contest.
Toronto didn’t let up upon Zatkoff’s entrance, though. Phil Kessel sniped his 13th goal of the year on the first shot the former Miami of Ohio standout faced to give the Leafs a 4-1 lead.
The real story, though, was Toronto’s ability to chase Fleury despite being out-shot at the time of his departure. James van Riemsdyk started it off with a goal just 5:09 into the contest — negating Chris Conner’s opening tally — and, six minutes later, it was Nazem Kadri making it 2-1 with his seventh goal of the year.
At the start of the second frame, JVR was at it again, taking advantage of a Fleury stickhandling gaffe to score his 11th of the season. Fleury smashed his stick twice in frustration, as this marked the first time all season he’s been yanked from a start.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)