Nov 27, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Rick Dudley won’t be going back to Buffalo.
On Wednesday, Montreal announced they’ve re-upped with Dudley — currently serving as assistant to GM Marc Bergevin — on a contract extension, ruling out the possibility of Dudley returning to Buffalo for the vacant Sabres GM gig.
Considered one of the candidates on Pat LaFontaine’s shortlist, Dudley has extensive GM experience, having served in that role for the Senators, Lightning, Panthers and Thrashers.
According to TSN, the Canadiens were approached by the Sabres for permission to speak to Dudley.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)