Nov 27, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Rick Dudley won’t be going back to Buffalo.
On Wednesday, Montreal announced they’ve re-upped with Dudley — currently serving as assistant to GM Marc Bergevin — on a contract extension, ruling out the possibility of Dudley returning to Buffalo for the vacant Sabres GM gig.
Considered one of the candidates on Pat LaFontaine’s shortlist, Dudley has extensive GM experience, having served in that role for the Senators, Lightning, Panthers and Thrashers.
According to TSN, the Canadiens were approached by the Sabres for permission to speak to Dudley.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)