Nov 27, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The New York Islanders are 2-8-0 in their last 10 games, and it’s not hard to figure why. With 38 goals surrendered during that stretch, their goals-against average has crept up to 3.33, third highest in the NHL.
Blame for all those goals allowed has been parceled out differently depending who you ask. Some look to the goaltending of Kevin Poulin, the inexperienced 23-year-old who was forced into regular starting duties after veteran Evgeni Nabokov went on injured reserve. (Before he was hurt, Nabokov wasn’t exactly rock solid, and as an extension general manager Garth Snow has been blamed for not addressing the most important position in hockey.)
Others don’t so much blame Poulin, who was actually playing quite well earlier this month. They blame the Isles’ defense for breaking down, running around and/or failing to clear rebounds after the first save is made.
Here’s an example from Saturday’s 5-2 loss to Philadelphia that contains all three of the above elements:
Whoever’s to blame — we can’t forget head coach Jack Capuano, who’s received his share of criticism — the losing the needs to stop. Last place in the Metropolitan Division, the Isles (8-13-3) have fallen five points back of the third-place Rangers in the division and nine points back of the second wild card spot in the conference. Only the Buffalo Sabres have fewer regulation/overtime wins (2) than the Isles (5).
New York hosts Winnipeg tonight in the first of a three-game home stand that also includes Detroit (Friday) and Washington (Saturday).
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Buffalo hasn’t been so bad lately, despite what the team looks like on paper.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 11
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)