Nov 26, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
One year after signing a $98 million contract, Ryan Suter has decided to invest.
The Minnesota defenseman has joined the ownership group of the USHL’s Madison Capitols, an expansion club that will begin play in the top U.S. junior league next season.
“I am so excited about the USHL playing in Madison where I have so many friends, memories and deep hockey roots,” Suter said in a statement. “This is a new and unique opportunity for me to be an owner and investor and I believe in the product and the great staff that is being assembled.
“I look forward to the first game and the support of the great hockey fans in the Madison area.”
Suter, 28, has major ties to Madison. He’s a Wisconsin native that played for the Badgers in his one year of collegiate hockey, and cited his desire to stay close to his hometown as a reason for signing with Minnesota in the summer of 2012.
The Suter family ties run deep in Madison. Ryan’s dad, Bob, won a national title with Wisconsin in 1977 and was a member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice team.
Another Suter — Ryan’s uncle, Gary — is a former Badger that went on to play over 1,000 NHL games.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)