Nov 26, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
One year after signing a $98 million contract, Ryan Suter has decided to invest.
The Minnesota defenseman has joined the ownership group of the USHL’s Madison Capitols, an expansion club that will begin play in the top U.S. junior league next season.
“I am so excited about the USHL playing in Madison where I have so many friends, memories and deep hockey roots,” Suter said in a statement. “This is a new and unique opportunity for me to be an owner and investor and I believe in the product and the great staff that is being assembled.
“I look forward to the first game and the support of the great hockey fans in the Madison area.”
Suter, 28, has major ties to Madison. He’s a Wisconsin native that played for the Badgers in his one year of collegiate hockey, and cited his desire to stay close to his hometown as a reason for signing with Minnesota in the summer of 2012.
The Suter family ties run deep in Madison. Ryan’s dad, Bob, won a national title with Wisconsin in 1977 and was a member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice team.
Another Suter — Ryan’s uncle, Gary — is a former Badger that went on to play over 1,000 NHL games.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)