Nov 26, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
One year after signing a $98 million contract, Ryan Suter has decided to invest.
The Minnesota defenseman has joined the ownership group of the USHL’s Madison Capitols, an expansion club that will begin play in the top U.S. junior league next season.
“I am so excited about the USHL playing in Madison where I have so many friends, memories and deep hockey roots,” Suter said in a statement. “This is a new and unique opportunity for me to be an owner and investor and I believe in the product and the great staff that is being assembled.
“I look forward to the first game and the support of the great hockey fans in the Madison area.”
Suter, 28, has major ties to Madison. He’s a Wisconsin native that played for the Badgers in his one year of collegiate hockey, and cited his desire to stay close to his hometown as a reason for signing with Minnesota in the summer of 2012.
The Suter family ties run deep in Madison. Ryan’s dad, Bob, won a national title with Wisconsin in 1977 and was a member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice team.
Another Suter — Ryan’s uncle, Gary — is a former Badger that went on to play over 1,000 NHL games.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 3
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 14
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 26
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)