Nov 26, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
One year after signing a $98 million contract, Ryan Suter has decided to invest.
The Minnesota defenseman has joined the ownership group of the USHL’s Madison Capitols, an expansion club that will begin play in the top U.S. junior league next season.
“I am so excited about the USHL playing in Madison where I have so many friends, memories and deep hockey roots,” Suter said in a statement. “This is a new and unique opportunity for me to be an owner and investor and I believe in the product and the great staff that is being assembled.
“I look forward to the first game and the support of the great hockey fans in the Madison area.”
Suter, 28, has major ties to Madison. He’s a Wisconsin native that played for the Badgers in his one year of collegiate hockey, and cited his desire to stay close to his hometown as a reason for signing with Minnesota in the summer of 2012.
The Suter family ties run deep in Madison. Ryan’s dad, Bob, won a national title with Wisconsin in 1977 and was a member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice team.
Another Suter — Ryan’s uncle, Gary — is a former Badger that went on to play over 1,000 NHL games.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 10
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)