Nov 26, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
One year after signing a $98 million contract, Ryan Suter has decided to invest.
The Minnesota defenseman has joined the ownership group of the USHL’s Madison Capitols, an expansion club that will begin play in the top U.S. junior league next season.
“I am so excited about the USHL playing in Madison where I have so many friends, memories and deep hockey roots,” Suter said in a statement. “This is a new and unique opportunity for me to be an owner and investor and I believe in the product and the great staff that is being assembled.
“I look forward to the first game and the support of the great hockey fans in the Madison area.”
Suter, 28, has major ties to Madison. He’s a Wisconsin native that played for the Badgers in his one year of collegiate hockey, and cited his desire to stay close to his hometown as a reason for signing with Minnesota in the summer of 2012.
The Suter family ties run deep in Madison. Ryan’s dad, Bob, won a national title with Wisconsin in 1977 and was a member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice team.
Another Suter — Ryan’s uncle, Gary — is a former Badger that went on to play over 1,000 NHL games.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)