Nov 26, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Dallas Stars host the Anaheim Ducks at American Airlines Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
By now we know the Western Conference is beastly to deal with. That hasn’t stopped the Anaheim Ducks from picking up where they ended last season, however.
The Ducks are on top of the Pacific Division and head into Tuesday’s game against the Dallas Stars having won two in a row. Before that, they dropped five straight. Despite numerous injuries throughout the year, the Ducks haven’t let that get them down and that’s mostly thanks to the play of captain Ryan Getzlaf and 2011 MVP Corey Perry.
Getzlaf leads the team in scoring with 27 points and Perry is right behind him with 25. Getzlaf’s point total puts him in the top-five in the NHL. They’re each tied for the team lead in goals with 13, a total that also puts them in the top-five in the league. Their play has also brought the best out of new-old Ducks forward Dustin Penner.
With six goals and 11 assists, Penner is third on the team in points. After last season with the Los Angeles Kings was a big letdown, he’s been outstanding in his return to Anaheim.
One thing the Ducks have had to stress about of late is goaltending. Jonas Hiller has had some struggles recently and Viktor Fasth’s injuries have held him back. Frederik Andersen has been outstanding when he’s played, however, and if he continues to do that, Hiller may need to break in his baseball cap on a more regular basis.
Things haven’t quite gone as they’d hoped in Dallas this season. They’re currently last in the Central Division and have had their struggles at home going just 3-3-2 there. The bright spots are easy to pick out.
Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin have been all they could’ve hoped for and they lead the team in scoring with 24 and 23 points respectively. Their play has been strong enough to get them talked about for being on Team Canada for the Olympics after neither was invited to their camp this summer.
Rookie forward Alex Chiasson got off to a quick start but has cooled off recently. Still, his six goals and 13 points are good for third on the team in both categories. A groin injury to Ray Whitney has kept him out of action of late and that has hurt their offensive production.
If there’s one person you can’t blame for their struggles, however, it’s goalie Kari Lehtonen. The Finnish netminder has been rock solid for the Stars this season and his numbers bear that out (.924 SV%, 2.28 GAA). If coach Lindy Ruff can get the defense figured out, they can climb back into the mix in the Central.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)