Lecavalier excited for ‘special’ return to Tampa Bay

Nov 26, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT

Vincent Lecavalier AP

Wednesday night promises to be an emotional one at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

The game will mark the first time Flyers forward Vincent Lecavalier will play in Tampa Bay since being bought out of his contract this past summer, marking a return to the place he called home for 14 years.

“It’s definitely going to be special,” Lecavalier told CSN Philadelphia. ““I am excited to go back. It’s not something I have really thought of. I’m just happy to go back and play against them and hope to play a great game there.

“I’m excited to go back and see my old teammates and buddies and play hard against them.”

Bought out of his 11-year, $85 million deal in July, Lecavalier — the Lightning’s all-time leader in games played (1,037), goals (383), power play goals (112) and game-winning goals (60) — quickly signed with Philadelphia, saying he wanted to play in a passionate hockey market and preferred playing the Flyers’ style as opposed to “staying on your heels.”

Lecavalier was a beloved figure in the area and was known for his community involvement — in 2007, he pledged $3 million to a pediatric cancer center (that bears his name) at the All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg. He was also an instrumental figure on the club’s first and only Stanley Cup-winning team and served two stints as captain, for a grand total of six seasons with the “C” on his sweater.

In short, Lecavalier says Wednesday will be like going home.

“Even though I am from Montreal and loved going back there, Tampa has always been my home, yeah,” he said. “My kids were all born there. My sister’s family is there, my parents are there. It definitely feels like home. Montreal as well.

“They’re both my homes.”

1. ibieiniid - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

it’d be doubly ironic if he got in a fight and threw some ground and pound punches against his OLD team this time.

2. muttbolts91 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

With his Crosby chin guard? How is that passionate hockey market working for ya vinny. You shouldn’t take shots at a place you call home.

• mustbechris - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

What are you talking about

• ibieiniid - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

lol it wasn’t really clear that those were 2 separate ideas, was it?

i still don’t get the 2nd or 3rd sentences.

3. muttbolts91 - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Vinny is wearing a half shield and a chin guard. Like Crosby was after his broken jaw. I don’t think vinny will fight with that on.

4. zta7991 - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM

rumor is that its coming off this week sometime

5. muttbolts91 - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Hopefully tomorrow, it’s going to be a slobber knocker

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Like what Rinaldo knocks out another bolt?

6. muttbolts91 - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Read the story!

7. muttbolts91 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Vinny said” I wanted to play for a passionate hockey market”. That is taking a shot at tampa, a place he calls home. I really had to spell that out for you?

• prd797 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Reading comprehension is a skill that you seem to lack.

Lecavalier wasn’t taking shots at Tampa. It wasn’t his choice to leave. He was BOUGHT OUT using a compliance buyout due to his contract’s insane length and price comparing rather poorly to his age and production. He couldn’t have continued to play for Tampa even if he wanted to.

Lecavalier decided that he’d pick an established and “passionate” hockey market, and it just so happened that nice contract offer and passionate atmosphere drew him to Philly.

• sunking1 - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM

@ muttbolts91

Settle down Francis

• 22yearsagotoday - Nov 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM

That has to be a Canadian saying, “eh”?

8. sampulls - Nov 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

@ muttbolts91

Probably better that you read the articles vs commenting on them.

9. muttbolts91 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM

What did I miss? People in tampa took that as if he was taking a shot at the city for not being ” passionate”.

10. muttbolts91 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

@ prd

No you seem to lack the skill of reading comprehension . This was a sample taken out of the article .

“Those quips aside, Tampa’s response to Lecavalier should be overwhelmingly positive.”

11. muttbolts91 - Nov 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM

And I never said it was his choice to leave.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D