Nov 26, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Veteran NHL goalie Rick DiPietro has been released from his professional try out contract with the AHL Charlotte Checkers, the club announced on Tuesday.
The news comes after DiPietro went 0-4-0 with a 5.18 GAA and .846 save percentage with the Checkers, Carolina’s minor-league affiliate. The 32-year-old netminder joined the club last month in the wake of injuries to Cam Ward and Anton Khudobin.
“[DiPietro] called [‘Canes GM] Jim Rutherford last night and thanked him for the opportunity,” Checkers head coach Jeff Daniels explained. “He just didn’t think it was going to go anywhere.
“I talked to him last week and said right now we have three goalies here and we’re waiting for one of them to step up and be the guy. The opportunity was there for him to do that, but he didn’t feel that it was going to go his way.”
The ‘Canes are getting healthier in goal — Ward recently returned from injury — and third-stringer Justin Peters played extremely well in relief, meaning the opportunity for DiPietro to play in the NHL again never came to fruition.
The former first overall pick (2000 NHL Entry Draft) hasn’t played in the NHL since last season, when he made three appearances for the Islanders, going winless with a 4.09 GAA. The Islanders bought out the remainder eight years of his contract this summer, and will pay him $1.5 million for each of the next 16 years.
When asked what was next in his comeback attempt, DiPietro didn’t have any answers.
“I don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t even thought about that, to be honest.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)