Nov 26, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
“Westgarth turns in the direction of Borowiecki, closes on him, and recklessly finishes him from behind into the boards,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “At no point, from the moment Westgarth changes direction, is Borowiecki ever eligible to be checked.”
Westgarth received a boarding minor on the hit, one that forced Borowiecki from the contest for good (his injury has since been classified as a strained neck.)
Following the game, Sens coach Paul MacLean called the hit a “disrespectful play,” adding that Westgarth “should feel shame.”
Westgarth, who had a telephone hearing with the NHL this morning, has no history of supplemental discipline from the league, having never been fined nor suspended during his five-year, 129-game career.
“I hope everybody can understand that was definitely not my intention,” Westgarth said in explaining his actions, as per the Raleigh News & Observer. “I’m glad [Borowiecki’s] OK.”
Westgarth will miss Carolina’s next two games — a home-and-home set against the Devils — eligible to return on Sunday, Dec. 1 against the Canucks in Vancouver.
He’ll also forfeit $7,435.90 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)