Nov 26, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
“Westgarth turns in the direction of Borowiecki, closes on him, and recklessly finishes him from behind into the boards,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “At no point, from the moment Westgarth changes direction, is Borowiecki ever eligible to be checked.”
Westgarth received a boarding minor on the hit, one that forced Borowiecki from the contest for good (his injury has since been classified as a strained neck.)
Following the game, Sens coach Paul MacLean called the hit a “disrespectful play,” adding that Westgarth “should feel shame.”
Westgarth, who had a telephone hearing with the NHL this morning, has no history of supplemental discipline from the league, having never been fined nor suspended during his five-year, 129-game career.
“I hope everybody can understand that was definitely not my intention,” Westgarth said in explaining his actions, as per the Raleigh News & Observer. “I’m glad [Borowiecki’s] OK.”
Westgarth will miss Carolina’s next two games — a home-and-home set against the Devils — eligible to return on Sunday, Dec. 1 against the Canucks in Vancouver.
He’ll also forfeit $7,435.90 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)