Nov 26, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
“Westgarth turns in the direction of Borowiecki, closes on him, and recklessly finishes him from behind into the boards,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “At no point, from the moment Westgarth changes direction, is Borowiecki ever eligible to be checked.”
Westgarth received a boarding minor on the hit, one that forced Borowiecki from the contest for good (his injury has since been classified as a strained neck.)
Following the game, Sens coach Paul MacLean called the hit a “disrespectful play,” adding that Westgarth “should feel shame.”
Westgarth, who had a telephone hearing with the NHL this morning, has no history of supplemental discipline from the league, having never been fined nor suspended during his five-year, 129-game career.
“I hope everybody can understand that was definitely not my intention,” Westgarth said in explaining his actions, as per the Raleigh News & Observer. “I’m glad [Borowiecki's] OK.”
Westgarth will miss Carolina’s next two games — a home-and-home set against the Devils — eligible to return on Sunday, Dec. 1 against the Canucks in Vancouver.
He’ll also forfeit $7,435.90 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)