Nov 26, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Calgary Flames executive Brian Burke is one of the guys who will help pick the Team USA roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but that doesn’t mean he’ll hold back thoughts on what other countries should do with their team.
This is what Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun found out when he asked Burke who he’d pick to play goal for Team Canada. His choice might surprise you.
“As of this week, I’d pick Cam Ward,” Burke said.
“He’s out of his mind right now — you can’t beat him,” Burke continued. “Everybody’s worried about Canada’s goalies right now, but I’m not. I think they have three guys who could play. You just have to figure out who’s on at that moment.”
You might recall, Ward wasn’t invited to Team Canada’s summer orientation camp in Calgary.
Ward has dealt with injury this season, but his numbers are strong considering the amount of shots he’s faced. He’s 3-3-4 with a .918 save percentage and a 2.66 goals-against average. In 11 games, he’s faced 319 shots good for 29 shots per game. That kind of action keeps you on your toes.
While Carey Price and Roberto Luongo figure to be favorites to make the Canadian roster, Ward is making a case for himself. He’ll have other competition from Phoenix’s Mike Smith, Washington’s Braden Holtby, and Chicago’s Corey Crawford.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)