Nov 26, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Calgary Flames executive Brian Burke is one of the guys who will help pick the Team USA roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but that doesn’t mean he’ll hold back thoughts on what other countries should do with their team.
This is what Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun found out when he asked Burke who he’d pick to play goal for Team Canada. His choice might surprise you.
“As of this week, I’d pick Cam Ward,” Burke said.
“He’s out of his mind right now — you can’t beat him,” Burke continued. “Everybody’s worried about Canada’s goalies right now, but I’m not. I think they have three guys who could play. You just have to figure out who’s on at that moment.”
You might recall, Ward wasn’t invited to Team Canada’s summer orientation camp in Calgary.
Ward has dealt with injury this season, but his numbers are strong considering the amount of shots he’s faced. He’s 3-3-4 with a .918 save percentage and a 2.66 goals-against average. In 11 games, he’s faced 319 shots good for 29 shots per game. That kind of action keeps you on your toes.
While Carey Price and Roberto Luongo figure to be favorites to make the Canadian roster, Ward is making a case for himself. He’ll have other competition from Phoenix’s Mike Smith, Washington’s Braden Holtby, and Chicago’s Corey Crawford.
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)