Nov 26, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Calgary Flames executive Brian Burke is one of the guys who will help pick the Team USA roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but that doesn’t mean he’ll hold back thoughts on what other countries should do with their team.
This is what Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun found out when he asked Burke who he’d pick to play goal for Team Canada. His choice might surprise you.
“As of this week, I’d pick Cam Ward,” Burke said.
“He’s out of his mind right now — you can’t beat him,” Burke continued. “Everybody’s worried about Canada’s goalies right now, but I’m not. I think they have three guys who could play. You just have to figure out who’s on at that moment.”
You might recall, Ward wasn’t invited to Team Canada’s summer orientation camp in Calgary.
Ward has dealt with injury this season, but his numbers are strong considering the amount of shots he’s faced. He’s 3-3-4 with a .918 save percentage and a 2.66 goals-against average. In 11 games, he’s faced 319 shots good for 29 shots per game. That kind of action keeps you on your toes.
While Carey Price and Roberto Luongo figure to be favorites to make the Canadian roster, Ward is making a case for himself. He’ll have other competition from Phoenix’s Mike Smith, Washington’s Braden Holtby, and Chicago’s Corey Crawford.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 0
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 1
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 7
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15