Nov 26, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
This morning in Toronto, a happy NHL commissioner Gary Bettman trumpeted a “historic and forward-looking” — not to mention, $5.232 billion (Canadian) — TV deal with Rogers Communications.
The new deal features a sub-licensing agreement with CBC that will keep Hockey Night in Canada on the air up north.
But after an internal CBC memo was leaked — a memo that showed that Rogers would assume “all editorial control” of HNIC — hockey fans were not surprisingly wondering about the future of one Don Cherry.
They were wondering even more when Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media, danced around a direct question about Cherry’s future.
Cue Bettman to the rescue:
Cherry has said repeatedly he has no plans to retire. And just because CBC will no longer have editorial control doesn’t mean he’ll be forced out when the new deal goes into effect next season.
That said, Cherry will turn 80 in February. If anything, that should be the reason people wonder how much longer he plans to keep sharing his opinions on TV.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)