Nov 26, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
This morning in Toronto, a happy NHL commissioner Gary Bettman trumpeted a “historic and forward-looking” — not to mention, $5.232 billion (Canadian) — TV deal with Rogers Communications.
The new deal features a sub-licensing agreement with CBC that will keep Hockey Night in Canada on the air up north.
But after an internal CBC memo was leaked — a memo that showed that Rogers would assume “all editorial control” of HNIC — hockey fans were not surprisingly wondering about the future of one Don Cherry.
They were wondering even more when Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media, danced around a direct question about Cherry’s future.
Cue Bettman to the rescue:
Cherry has said repeatedly he has no plans to retire. And just because CBC will no longer have editorial control doesn’t mean he’ll be forced out when the new deal goes into effect next season.
That said, Cherry will turn 80 in February. If anything, that should be the reason people wonder how much longer he plans to keep sharing his opinions on TV.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)