Nov 26, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
This morning in Toronto, a happy NHL commissioner Gary Bettman trumpeted a “historic and forward-looking” — not to mention, $5.232 billion (Canadian) — TV deal with Rogers Communications.
The new deal features a sub-licensing agreement with CBC that will keep Hockey Night in Canada on the air up north.
But after an internal CBC memo was leaked — a memo that showed that Rogers would assume “all editorial control” of HNIC — hockey fans were not surprisingly wondering about the future of one Don Cherry.
They were wondering even more when Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media, danced around a direct question about Cherry’s future.
Cue Bettman to the rescue:
Cherry has said repeatedly he has no plans to retire. And just because CBC will no longer have editorial control doesn’t mean he’ll be forced out when the new deal goes into effect next season.
That said, Cherry will turn 80 in February. If anything, that should be the reason people wonder how much longer he plans to keep sharing his opinions on TV.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)