Nov 26, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
The Wizard is back.
On Tuesday, the Dallas Stars activated Ray Whitney from injured reserve, paving the way for him to play in tonight’s matchup against the Ducks in Anaheim.
The NHL’s fourth-oldest player — trailing only Teemu Selanne, Jaromir Jagr and Martin Brodeur — Whitney has missed the last five games with a groin ailment, during which time the Stars have gone 3-2-0.
Whitney has eight points in 17 game this year and should provide a spark for a Dallas club that’s managed just three goals in its last two games. Prior to getting hurt, he played a season-high 21:08 in a 5-2 loss to Chicago, that coming after he skated nearly 18 minutes in the previous game against Detroit.
“The Wizard” is expected to slot onto a line with Cody Eakin and Alex Chiasson, and will likely see some time on the power play as well. The Stars power play is 3-38 over the last 11 games overall and is 1-29 at home this season.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)