Roy thinks it’s ‘positive’ Varlamov avoided kidnapping charges

Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT

varlamovgetty Getty Images

On Friday, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov was charged with third-degree assault stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his girlfriend.

While the assault charges loom, the Denver district attorney opted not to file an additional kidnapping charge on the ground it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (according to DA spokesperson Lynn Kimbrough.)

That’s something Avs head coach Patrick Roy thinks will be good for his goalie.

“I thought it was positive for [Varlamov], but in the end I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a DA,” Roy told the Denver Post. “I think he needs to remain focused and we’ll see what transpires.

“The most important thing was the support he got from our fans.”

Varlamov, 25, has played very well recently. He stopped 36 of 37 shots in a 5-1 win over the defending Cup champs Chicago on Nov. 19, then followed that up by stopping 41 shots in a 4-3 OT win over Phoenix two nights later.

On Saturday, he stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season in a 1-0 OT win over Los Angeles.

As for his legal issues, the Russian ‘tender is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 2. The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.

1. esracerx46 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

What happens to all these guys “supporting” Varlamov if he’s found guilty?

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I mean, that doesn’t mean his life is over. I’d assume they’d be supportive in whatever treatment he’s sentenced to for alcohol. Regardless of whether he made a huge mistake and abused a woman, he’s still a man and his friends are probably still his friends. WE, on the other hand, can talk some sh** about his mistake. Our support won’t help him any.

• c9castine - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM

finally we see eye to eye

• jpelle82 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

nothing happens to them, people just forget about it and move on, especially if they win games. roy is a d-bag anyway. with his history and then you look at his kids too, i figure he condones violence so this is not surprising. what else is supposed to say about his own player anyway?

• esracerx46 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I meant do they still support a woman beater if found guilty? Or do they do something similar to what Aaron Rodgers did with Ryan Braun and call him what he was…a liar.

• joey4id - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Being found guilty doesn’t mean that he is. Does the name Ryan Ferguson ring a bell? There are over 300 persons whose convictions were overturned (18 of them did time on death row) Have you heard of Rubin “Hurricane” Carter? Convicted twice (1967 and 1976) for murders he didn’t commit. Finally released for good in 1985. Oh! The justice system doesn’t always get it right my friend. Don’t be blind? 100s if not 1000s of people are wrongly convicted in the U.S.

• esracerx46 - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Do you realize how piss poor of an argument that is? Saying if he’s found guilty he might not be guilty because what 1 percent of people are wrongfully convicted?

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

It’s not a horrible argument, but what else are we to do? never believe the courts because they were wrong sometimes? I think you might be never believing anything if you took that strategy. Might as well just shut the courts down and never make decisions because they could be wrong.

• winger58 - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM

“but what else are we to do?”

How about, GET A LIFE!

• ibieiniid - Nov 26, 2013 at 8:05 AM

yeah…. because court systems and laws aren’t part of everyday life….

• joey4id - Nov 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM

ibieiniid, you’re missing the point. Having a life doesn’t mean you act like a sheep and just follow the mass. It’s actually the opposite. If everyone were like sheep some many injustices would still be part of everyday life.

• ibieiniid - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

first off, i highly doubt that’s what he was saying.

but since you’re saying it…. what makes you think I’m PRO-wrongful convictions? I’m not. but just because some people are wrongly convicted doesn’t mean that everybody convicted is innocent. and if somebody is convicted of a crime, they’re FAR more likely to have committed it than if they’re simply accused. I’m not assigning blame to Varly yet, but if he’s convicted, I will, as I have no more evidence than the court. make sense?

• ibieiniid - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM

basically what you’re saying is that we shouldn’t consider anybody to be a criminal because courts are wrong from time to time.

• joey4id - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM

ibieiniid, You always make a lot of sense. I’m not saying that you are pro wrongful-conviction or that we shouldn’t consider anybody to be a criminal because courts are wrong from time to time. I’m saying the court system as we defined it is a mess. It’s about elected officials who will skew the facts to get their conviction rate up to get re-elected. $$$$$$$ is driving them more than it’s the cause. It’s much easier to wrongfully convict someone than it is to free someone who was wrongfully convicted. I don’t know how to change it, but I know enough not to believe every conviction is merited. I don’t believe in circumstantial evidence because too many the jurors (all about emotions and not enough facts) are swayed by courtroom theatrics, and $$$$$$$$$$ buys you the best lawyers who know how to free a guilty criminal. Whereas the less fortunate are sometimes victim of the system because they can’t afford a dream team a la OJ.

• joey4id - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Don’t know what the percentage is and it doesn’t matter bean counter. It’s estimated that 10000 people are wrongly convicted every year. If one of those end up on death row, and are executed, then you’ve got to be aware of that and cannot blindly but your fate into the justice system. You better hope it doesn’t happen to you or you’ll be pulling off a Portman (R-OH). How many innocent were wrongly executed in Texas? One is too many. 110 inmates freed by DNA tests. Their time in prison surpassed 1,000 years, and all were wrongly convicted. Then they returned to lives that had passed them by.

• esracerx46 - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I’d rather an innocent be in jail than a serial killer let loose. These people wrongfully convicted are convicted by people that were convinced beyond reasonable doubt they were guilty. In this case here, were not talking death penalty. I’m not saying he is 100% guilty. I know about as much as you do and that’s not a whole lot. I’m just saying, if a guy is convicted of beating up a woman by our peers. I have to take their word because they have seen and heard more about the case than anyone else. For you to declare his innocence based on some people in very extreme cases being wrongfully convicted is the most outrageous thing I’ve heard in a long time. This is a domestic dispute. This isn’t an armed robbery where a witness wrongly placed him at the scene. This case could very well be the girlfriend was the aggressor and Varlamov stopped her.

• joey4id - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Where did you hear that I declared his innocence? Gov’t killing someone wrongly convicted is as unacceptable as a serial killer killing an innocent. Two wrong don’t make it right. You actually made my point. “This case could very well be the girlfriend was the aggressor and Varlamov stopped her.” Yet! He can very well be wrongly accused and found guilty. Thank you.

2. endusersolutions2013 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

That’s a .956 save % against three top 10 teams. The likely high cost of really bad personal choices is most unfortunate.

3. upper90cheese - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

So just to clarify-

Its cool for an NHL goalie to beat on a woman, but its not cool for an NHL goalie to beat on Braden Holtby.

The League and the media have dropped the ball on this big time.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

well one of them we watched happen in HD. the other, we didn’t.

• ntvd7 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Right?

If we had seen him beat his girlfriend on the jumbotron it might be a different story

And no one said it was “cool” either

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

my point was that we know EXACTLY (to the level of high definition) what happened with Emery. nobody except Varly, his girl, and some lawyers know exactly what happened with him. the media, like me, is probably waiting until the facts are out/decided upon by a court to make their own judgements.

• thethorntonstrokes - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

This is a dumb comment

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

It’s not like your response is any better. If you’re a teacher and a student does something wrong, you don’t just tell them what they did was dumb. you tell them why it was dumb. otherwise, you’re just trolling.

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I haven’t seen anyone being pro-woman beating, can you direct me to those articles?

4. paledevil - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

While I agree any and all fan bases besides the Avalanche should want this guy incapacitated..Not going to happen… As a Chicago fan , I can say I was ashamed and disappointed when Kaner pleaded guilty to a third degree assault charge ..However as fans.. We did not run away or disassociate ourselves rather we shared in the shame and guilt Hoping to be better and move forward….

I Suspect Mr Roy feels the same way….

• esracerx46 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I never looked at Kane the same way. Had the cab driver been a woman I’d call for his head too. You don’t lay your hands on a woman.

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Especially considering the significant size mismatch in the current case. And from what her mother said, it was hardly the 1st incident.

5. jpelle82 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

the irony here is what gets me, you ask a wife beater goalie for the avalanche about a girlfriend beating goalie for the avalanche and he says “i’m not a lawyer”. of anyone to ask…roy is the most qualified person to ask on this subject…after all he lived it, almost exact same scenario.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

except that it was HIM that perpetrated his own crimes. he didn’t perpetrate Varly’s and he sure as hell isn’t representing him in a court of law. It’s smart of him to stay out of it as much as possible, while not leaving the reporters COMPLETELY hungry. If Varly did it, it’s horrible, but in the mean time, I think the organization is handling it the best they can. that’s probably a controversial viewpoint on it, but I’m just calling it like I see it.

• jpelle82 - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

yeah i mean what else is he going to say, i get it…but…if i were a reporter i surely would bring it up, ask for any insight he might have because of his own experience, dig in a little more than just simply accepting the ol’ company line.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

lol if you’d bring up Roy’s own charges from the past while talking to him about Varly, you’re a braver man than I.

But you also have to think about the reporters trying to build rapport (pun somewhat intended) with who they’re covering. go around bringing up people’s past mistakes, they may not want to talk to you as openly.

• jpelle82 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

lol…given said history he probably would just punch a reporter in the face.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM

lmao exactly.

6. irokkit - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It makes me doubt the importance of role models, the people that become them and the people that create them. Lots of athletes don’t qualify for the task of being a role model. But as a society, we force them there. And when they let us down (based on our own grading scale) we ignore, conform and adjust our acceptance/non-acceptance selfishly.
    It appears he is guilty. IF…he is guilty, he should face the punishment. He should do his rehabilitation. He should suffer the consequences of his actions according to the law. He should make his penance. Then, he can play ice hockey.

7. drewzducks - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

At least it sounds like Varly has taken to Roy’s “coaching” techniques.

8. flash8910 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM

What else should I expect…assault runs in the family, but kidnapping would be crossing the line.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches