Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
On Friday, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov was charged with third-degree assault stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his girlfriend.
While the assault charges loom, the Denver district attorney opted not to file an additional kidnapping charge on the ground it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (according to DA spokesperson Lynn Kimbrough.)
That’s something Avs head coach Patrick Roy thinks will be good for his goalie.
“I thought it was positive for [Varlamov], but in the end I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a DA,” Roy told the Denver Post. “I think he needs to remain focused and we’ll see what transpires.
“The most important thing was the support he got from our fans.”
Varlamov, 25, has played very well recently. He stopped 36 of 37 shots in a 5-1 win over the defending Cup champs Chicago on Nov. 19, then followed that up by stopping 41 shots in a 4-3 OT win over Phoenix two nights later.
On Saturday, he stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season in a 1-0 OT win over Los Angeles.
As for his legal issues, the Russian ‘tender is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 2. The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)