Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
On Friday, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov was charged with third-degree assault stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his girlfriend.
While the assault charges loom, the Denver district attorney opted not to file an additional kidnapping charge on the ground it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (according to DA spokesperson Lynn Kimbrough.)
That’s something Avs head coach Patrick Roy thinks will be good for his goalie.
“I thought it was positive for [Varlamov], but in the end I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a DA,” Roy told the Denver Post. “I think he needs to remain focused and we’ll see what transpires.
“The most important thing was the support he got from our fans.”
Varlamov, 25, has played very well recently. He stopped 36 of 37 shots in a 5-1 win over the defending Cup champs Chicago on Nov. 19, then followed that up by stopping 41 shots in a 4-3 OT win over Phoenix two nights later.
On Saturday, he stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season in a 1-0 OT win over Los Angeles.
As for his legal issues, the Russian ‘tender is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 2. The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)