Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
On Friday, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov was charged with third-degree assault stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his girlfriend.
While the assault charges loom, the Denver district attorney opted not to file an additional kidnapping charge on the ground it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (according to DA spokesperson Lynn Kimbrough.)
That’s something Avs head coach Patrick Roy thinks will be good for his goalie.
“I thought it was positive for [Varlamov], but in the end I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a DA,” Roy told the Denver Post. “I think he needs to remain focused and we’ll see what transpires.
“The most important thing was the support he got from our fans.”
Varlamov, 25, has played very well recently. He stopped 36 of 37 shots in a 5-1 win over the defending Cup champs Chicago on Nov. 19, then followed that up by stopping 41 shots in a 4-3 OT win over Phoenix two nights later.
On Saturday, he stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season in a 1-0 OT win over Los Angeles.
As for his legal issues, the Russian ‘tender is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 2. The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)