Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
On Friday, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov was charged with third-degree assault stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his girlfriend.
While the assault charges loom, the Denver district attorney opted not to file an additional kidnapping charge on the ground it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (according to DA spokesperson Lynn Kimbrough.)
That’s something Avs head coach Patrick Roy thinks will be good for his goalie.
“I thought it was positive for [Varlamov], but in the end I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a DA,” Roy told the Denver Post. “I think he needs to remain focused and we’ll see what transpires.
“The most important thing was the support he got from our fans.”
Varlamov, 25, has played very well recently. He stopped 36 of 37 shots in a 5-1 win over the defending Cup champs Chicago on Nov. 19, then followed that up by stopping 41 shots in a 4-3 OT win over Phoenix two nights later.
On Saturday, he stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season in a 1-0 OT win over Los Angeles.
As for his legal issues, the Russian ‘tender is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 2. The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)