Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
On Friday, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov was charged with third-degree assault stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his girlfriend.
While the assault charges loom, the Denver district attorney opted not to file an additional kidnapping charge on the ground it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (according to DA spokesperson Lynn Kimbrough.)
That’s something Avs head coach Patrick Roy thinks will be good for his goalie.
“I thought it was positive for [Varlamov], but in the end I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a DA,” Roy told the Denver Post. “I think he needs to remain focused and we’ll see what transpires.
“The most important thing was the support he got from our fans.”
Varlamov, 25, has played very well recently. He stopped 36 of 37 shots in a 5-1 win over the defending Cup champs Chicago on Nov. 19, then followed that up by stopping 41 shots in a 4-3 OT win over Phoenix two nights later.
On Saturday, he stopped all 19 shots for his first shutout of the season in a 1-0 OT win over Los Angeles.
As for his legal issues, the Russian ‘tender is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 2. The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)