Nov 25, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Jacob Trouba was one of the more highly anticipated rookies coming into the 2013-14 campaign as evidenced by the fact that he was invited to the United States’ Olympic orientation camp in August even before he made his NHL debut.
The 19-year-old defenseman’s first campaign took an unfortunate turn when he missed a check on St. Louis’ Jordan Leopold and instead crashed into the end boards. He has missed a little over a month with a neck injury as a result.
The Winnipeg Jets might get him back as early as Monday though, just in time for the start of their six-game road trip.
“It’s their call. I want to play. I feel like I’m ready to play. It’s out of my hands,” Trouba told the Winnipeg Sun. “It’s been a rough month and however long it’s been for me. I’m not used to not playing, so I’m excited to get back in there, hopefully pretty soon.”
Prior to the injury, Trouba was averaging 21:16 minutes per contest and had two points in eight games. Blueliner Julian Melchiori has been sent to the AHL in anticipation for Trouba’s return.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)