Nov 25, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Jacob Trouba was one of the more highly anticipated rookies coming into the 2013-14 campaign as evidenced by the fact that he was invited to the United States’ Olympic orientation camp in August even before he made his NHL debut.
The 19-year-old defenseman’s first campaign took an unfortunate turn when he missed a check on St. Louis’ Jordan Leopold and instead crashed into the end boards. He has missed a little over a month with a neck injury as a result.
The Winnipeg Jets might get him back as early as Monday though, just in time for the start of their six-game road trip.
“It’s their call. I want to play. I feel like I’m ready to play. It’s out of my hands,” Trouba told the Winnipeg Sun. “It’s been a rough month and however long it’s been for me. I’m not used to not playing, so I’m excited to get back in there, hopefully pretty soon.”
Prior to the injury, Trouba was averaging 21:16 minutes per contest and had two points in eight games. Blueliner Julian Melchiori has been sent to the AHL in anticipation for Trouba’s return.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)