Nov 25, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
Jacob Trouba was one of the more highly anticipated rookies coming into the 2013-14 campaign as evidenced by the fact that he was invited to the United States’ Olympic orientation camp in August even before he made his NHL debut.
The 19-year-old defenseman’s first campaign took an unfortunate turn when he missed a check on St. Louis’ Jordan Leopold and instead crashed into the end boards. He has missed a little over a month with a neck injury as a result.
The Winnipeg Jets might get him back as early as Monday though, just in time for the start of their six-game road trip.
“It’s their call. I want to play. I feel like I’m ready to play. It’s out of my hands,” Trouba told the Winnipeg Sun. “It’s been a rough month and however long it’s been for me. I’m not used to not playing, so I’m excited to get back in there, hopefully pretty soon.”
Prior to the injury, Trouba was averaging 21:16 minutes per contest and had two points in eight games. Blueliner Julian Melchiori has been sent to the AHL in anticipation for Trouba’s return.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)