Nov 25, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Jacob Trouba was one of the more highly anticipated rookies coming into the 2013-14 campaign as evidenced by the fact that he was invited to the United States’ Olympic orientation camp in August even before he made his NHL debut.
The 19-year-old defenseman’s first campaign took an unfortunate turn when he missed a check on St. Louis’ Jordan Leopold and instead crashed into the end boards. He has missed a little over a month with a neck injury as a result.
The Winnipeg Jets might get him back as early as Monday though, just in time for the start of their six-game road trip.
“It’s their call. I want to play. I feel like I’m ready to play. It’s out of my hands,” Trouba told the Winnipeg Sun. “It’s been a rough month and however long it’s been for me. I’m not used to not playing, so I’m excited to get back in there, hopefully pretty soon.”
Prior to the injury, Trouba was averaging 21:16 minutes per contest and had two points in eight games. Blueliner Julian Melchiori has been sent to the AHL in anticipation for Trouba’s return.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)