Nov 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
George McPhee has heard Martin Erat’s trade demands, and he’s going to try and meet them.
That was the story out of Washington on Monday as the Caps GM addressed media following Erat’s announcement that he wants out of the nation’s capital less than 10 months after being acquired from Nashville.
“Marty doesn’t feel like he fits in here,” McPhee explained. “We’ll try to accommodate him.”
Among the noteworthy points made by McPhee regarding the situation:
— The Caps GM had “no regrets” about making the deal last April.
— Washington won’t retain any of Erat’s salary in a trade. The 32-year-old Czech has two years remaining on his deal with a $4.5 average annual cap hit, but his salary is $3.75 million this year and $2.25 million in 2014-15.
— McPhee and head coach Adam Oates said Erat has been “professional” with his trade demands, and they expect him to remain that way. All of this sounds as though Caps fans can expect Erat to keep playing until a deal is found.
— McPhee suggested there is interest in Erat, and that his no-movement clause won’t be an issue.
The Caps acquired Erat at last year’s trade deadline in exchange for Filip Forsberg, the club’s first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Washington also received forward Michael Latta in the deal.
Erat, projected to be a top-six forward with the Caps, has been a huge disappointment, scoring just once in 32 games while barely playing over 13 minutes a night. He was displeased with his role in the team’s offense and cryptically alluded to wanting out of Washington just one week into the regular season.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)