Martin Erat has asked to be traded… again

Nov 25, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT

MartinErat Getty Images

Martin Erat wants out of Washington.

The Czech winger, who’s scored just one goal in 32 games since being acquired from Nashville last season, has informed the Capitals of his desire to be traded, according to CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley.

“It’s time for me to move on,” the 32-year-old said.

The confirmation comes shortly after an article surfaced from Czech news agency iDNES.cz, in which Erat (translation courtesy Russian Machine Never Breaks) said he wants to get out of Washington “as soon as possible.”

“I get no time on the ice, it’s hard to prove my ability with only ten to twelve minutes of ice time,” Erat explained. “At the beginning of the season it was only about seven minutes, and then it went up, so [Adam Oates] let me play more defense than offense.”

News of Erat’s unhappiness shouldn’t come as a surprise. He has a history with demanding trades, having forced his way out of Nashville — “I can’t sugarcoat it, it’s really disappointing,” said Preds GM David Poile — and Erat has already alluded to his desire to bolt Washington earlier this season, criticizing his role in the offense and lack of playing time overall.

When asked in early October if he’d already considered the possibility of demanding a trade, Erat offered a cryptic reply.

“No, not yet. I know what I can do. We’ll see what happens.”

Erat has two seasons left on a seven-year, $31.5 million deal that carries an average annual cap hit of $4.5 million. He’s been a major disappointment this season, failing to score a goal in 23 games while registering just six assists. He’s also averaging 13:08 TOI per game, his lowest average since his sophomore season in Nashville.

1. hockey412 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Would anyone take him right now anyway, at that hit? I guess they could retain part of his salary but still, doesn’t seem like a lot of teams will lining up to snag him and his ‘tude.

• kingcobraman - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

nobody likes an unproductive whiner at 4.5 mill.

• thesportsjudge - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Are there any teams struggling to hit the cap floor? Lol.

2. hosewater2 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Erat for Booth? Probably the only way Canucks can jettison Booth, similar cap hits, and can buy out Erat if he can’t turn it around.

• kingcobraman - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

good call ….

• withseidelinn - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Agreed, I wouldn’t have thought of this one. Booth gets the opportunity to play with some skill guys, and like hosewater mentioned Erat can be bought out.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

it’s rare you see people suggesting/predicting fair trades on here. props. gets them both a change of scenery and doesn’t really detriment either team (more than the contracts already do). plus, it gives the Caps more wing configuration options than Erat did to tune up that 2nd line if Grabo doesn’t work this time around… although I think Grabo’s ready.

3. fivetozeroingame7 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Who would want to live in that revolting cesspool anyway.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I would, and had for most of my life. You act like being closer to politicians makes you worse off. Newsflash, every state has sh**balls living in it.

• govtminion - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Amen to that. Sometimes people forget that there’s more to Washington D.C. than politics. Real people live in a very nice city that just happens to also have all the political crap going on as well. It’s quite possible to live here and never think twice about Capitol Hill.

• dcfan4life - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Sure hope you don’t live in the city itself, because D.C. as a city absolutely sucks. I was born and raised in D.C. and all my teams are from there, but to say the city is a great place to live might just come from someone who just may not have lived anywhere else.

10 Reasons why D.C. isnt a good place to live;
        1. Taxation without representation (hell, its on your license plates)
        2. Awful public schools (and programs, and parks, etc…)
        3. Awful public funding (takes up to 2 years to fix pot holes, cant trim trees that are hiding traffic lights)
        4. Traffic (city isnt designed for the flooding of commuters)
        5. Its Dirty (trash on all streets that are not landmarks)
        6. Huge homeless problem (there everywhere, makes you real uncomfortable)
        7. Terrible government officials (most citys suffer this but D.C. has had some really bad ones consistantly)
        8. Terrible response time from police/fire (in my time in D.C. an ambulance was 4 hours late costing my friends mom her life, our alarm went off uncontrollably and it took 3 hours for the cops to make sure we were ok, kids openly robbed us in public then hung out outside, cops never showed up to arrest them, places burn down due to lack of fire response, the list goes on)
        9. Crime (house was broken into, was robbed in broad daylight twice, car was stolen from in front of my house, babysitter stole from us, the list goes on)
        10. Expensive (oh ya, you have to pay up to 3 times as much for these awesome perks. Seriously, live in a suburb, so much better)

I sincerely doubt the landmarks, clubs, fine dining, events, concerts, museums, public transportation, etc… and such can offset all that to anyone especially since i live in northern VA and i can still enjoy all of those things.

On a bright note, at least you dont live in Philadelphia…haha.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

If i’m being honest, you’re right. I didn’t live IN DC, but NoVa also. and sigh, yeah….. I’ve lived in Philly too, DC was better. BUT, I currently live in Norfolk, and I’d rate the DC area above this one as well (ya know, except for the beach). if you think you have pothole/homeless/crime problems up there, don’t visit Norfolk. I will admit the traffic down here is nice….. except when they close the main city tunnel (the Downtown) every weekend for a whole winter, like it is right now. but, still better than DC traffic.

• dcfan4life - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Been to Norfolk plenty, and yes, you can keep it haha.

4. stepanup - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

The guy wouldn’t have been able to put up points in Nashville without some kind of ability. If I were the Caps I’d want to move on from this and quickly. Then hope to never here Forsberg’s name again.

It makes sense to trade him to a team that could use a second line wing to provide secondary scoring for a Western Conference team. To me that team is Dallas. They need production beyond Seguin-Benn, and are 22nd in terms of spending against the cap.

5. LampyB - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Erat sucks, thats the problem. Give him 20 mins of ice time a night and he’d have 6 pts on the season

• 19to77 - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

And he’d be whining about having too many minutes loaded onto him every game. Everything is always someone else’s fault with this guy.

• imf311 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Exactly – Nobody to blame but himself. He saw plenty of time in the top 6 and didn’t do anything with it.

6. broadstreetsbaddest88 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

If he don’t get traded soon I could see him pull a kovalchuk. I don’t see a team offering anything decent for him after demanding trades on both teams he’s been on. He’s to much a risk at this point. My question is, at what expense is it worth the gamble.

7. stcrowe - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM

They traded Fillip Forsberg for this dud? Good Grief!

I understand that Forsberg hasn’t cracked the NHL yet, but he has skill, and I don’t think he is even 20 years old yet.

8. jaybaileys - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The dude is horrible, his contract was a bad signing in Nashville, there is probably a team in the KHL who would love to have him, but the NHL right now, not seeing it.

9. murtdurt - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

If I’m Ted Leonsis this is the final straw for Mcphee. As someone mentioned Forsberg hasn’t proved anything yet but I would take his potential over Erat any day! And Mcphee has been running this team since before they drafted Ovi. This was a team that was as bad as the Blackhawks and Penguins and were able to stockpile talent like backstrom and OV yet hasn’t been able to make it past the east final once? Time for someone else to call the shots

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

shhhh, don’t mention the Penguins and “bad” in the same sentence or the Penguin police might hunt your comment down!

• murtdurt - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM

HAHA I’m a big pens fan and have stuck with them through the rico fata days so I know how bad we truly were. If these “penguin police” refuse to remember how we got MAF, Geno and Sid then they don’t deserve to be fans. But competent managing from both the Hawks and Pens have got these teams over the hump…something Mcphee continues to fail at.

• ibieiniid - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

come to the article about the Penguins “turning the page.” I’ve got a couple guys I’d like you to meet.

10. coltssteve - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Again, why does George McPhee still have a job after acquiring Erat? No matter how you slice it GM GM’s protege Poile fleeced him hook, line, and sinker. Seems like McPhee might even be willing to buy some magic beans that will build a bean stalk to the special place where you find super star hockey players in the sky!

Additionally, I think it is obvious that McPhee has a fetish for Erat-types, as he compiled a collection of Erat, Brouwer Ranger, Joel Ward, Jason Chimera, Brooks Laich, et al. These guys often play on the 2nd line in DC, but would likely be spare parts in a place like Chicago, Colorado, Boston, or Pittsburgh!

They should trade Ovie just to give him a reprieve from playing for such a crappy team!

• coltssteve - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

i meant to say GM GM is Poile’s protege.

11. rbbbaron - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Ken Holland get on the phone and send Stephen Weiss to Washington. Helm is a baller, making Weiss possibly the most expensive 3rd liner in the league…if you want to talk about immovable contracts, Erat for 2 years @ 4.5 sounds a helluva lot better than injury-prone Weiss for 5 @ 4.9– which can’t be bought out! Makes sense for the Wings, but not Washington unfortunately…but I’m allowed to dream…

12. buysamadrink - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Its true, there’s no “I” in “team player”. But there is a “MARTY” and an “ERAT”. Not sure why…

13. cspsrbums - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I don’t believe all Erats fault, Brouwer and Laich have been horrible with whom ever they play with. They are without a doubt the worst 2nd line in hockey One if not both of them should be moved not Erat

14. insley29 - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

What ever happened to earning your ice time?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches