Nov 25, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Martin Erat wants out of Washington.
The Czech winger, who’s scored just one goal in 32 games since being acquired from Nashville last season, has informed the Capitals of his desire to be traded, according to CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley.
“It’s time for me to move on,” the 32-year-old said.
The confirmation comes shortly after an article surfaced from Czech news agency iDNES.cz, in which Erat (translation courtesy Russian Machine Never Breaks) said he wants to get out of Washington “as soon as possible.”
“I get no time on the ice, it’s hard to prove my ability with only ten to twelve minutes of ice time,” Erat explained. “At the beginning of the season it was only about seven minutes, and then it went up, so [Adam Oates] let me play more defense than offense.”
News of Erat’s unhappiness shouldn’t come as a surprise. He has a history with demanding trades, having forced his way out of Nashville — “I can’t sugarcoat it, it’s really disappointing,” said Preds GM David Poile — and Erat has already alluded to his desire to bolt Washington earlier this season, criticizing his role in the offense and lack of playing time overall.
When asked in early October if he’d already considered the possibility of demanding a trade, Erat offered a cryptic reply.
“No, not yet. I know what I can do. We’ll see what happens.”
Erat has two seasons left on a seven-year, $31.5 million deal that carries an average annual cap hit of $4.5 million. He’s been a major disappointment this season, failing to score a goal in 23 games while registering just six assists. He’s also averaging 13:08 TOI per game, his lowest average since his sophomore season in Nashville.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 5
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 20
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)