Nov 25, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Many Maple Leafs fans might have blamed James Reimer for Toronto’s 6-0 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, but his team isn’t throwing him under the bus.
Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson happened to say so most dramatically, as the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reports.
“We had a really [blank] game and hung him out to dry,” Gunnarsson said.
Head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t give him a free pass, but seemed to echo that sentiment.
“I think that was on par with the rest of our group,” Carlyle said. “It was a team effort. It was nowhere near what we needed.”
Reimer simply said it wasn’t his night.
Overall, the Maple Leafs have often enjoyed outstanding goaltending between Reimer and Jonathan Bernier, so maybe it’s a call for the rest of the team to step up. Tyler Bozak seemed to think so, as he told TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
“Maybe a little bit of a wake-up call for us,” Bozak said. “We’re getting a little too comfortable.”
Perhaps it’s easier to get the message when you get blown out in your own building …
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)