Nov 25, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Many Maple Leafs fans might have blamed James Reimer for Toronto’s 6-0 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, but his team isn’t throwing him under the bus.
Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson happened to say so most dramatically, as the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reports.
“We had a really [blank] game and hung him out to dry,” Gunnarsson said.
Head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t give him a free pass, but seemed to echo that sentiment.
“I think that was on par with the rest of our group,” Carlyle said. “It was a team effort. It was nowhere near what we needed.”
Reimer simply said it wasn’t his night.
Overall, the Maple Leafs have often enjoyed outstanding goaltending between Reimer and Jonathan Bernier, so maybe it’s a call for the rest of the team to step up. Tyler Bozak seemed to think so, as he told TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
“Maybe a little bit of a wake-up call for us,” Bozak said. “We’re getting a little too comfortable.”
Perhaps it’s easier to get the message when you get blown out in your own building …
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)