Nov 25, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Many Maple Leafs fans might have blamed James Reimer for Toronto’s 6-0 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, but his team isn’t throwing him under the bus.
Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson happened to say so most dramatically, as the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reports.
“We had a really [blank] game and hung him out to dry,” Gunnarsson said.
Head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t give him a free pass, but seemed to echo that sentiment.
“I think that was on par with the rest of our group,” Carlyle said. “It was a team effort. It was nowhere near what we needed.”
Reimer simply said it wasn’t his night.
Overall, the Maple Leafs have often enjoyed outstanding goaltending between Reimer and Jonathan Bernier, so maybe it’s a call for the rest of the team to step up. Tyler Bozak seemed to think so, as he told TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
“Maybe a little bit of a wake-up call for us,” Bozak said. “We’re getting a little too comfortable.”
Perhaps it’s easier to get the message when you get blown out in your own building …
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)