Nov 25, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Many Maple Leafs fans might have blamed James Reimer for Toronto’s 6-0 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, but his team isn’t throwing him under the bus.
Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson happened to say so most dramatically, as the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reports.
“We had a really [blank] game and hung him out to dry,” Gunnarsson said.
Head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t give him a free pass, but seemed to echo that sentiment.
“I think that was on par with the rest of our group,” Carlyle said. “It was a team effort. It was nowhere near what we needed.”
Reimer simply said it wasn’t his night.
Overall, the Maple Leafs have often enjoyed outstanding goaltending between Reimer and Jonathan Bernier, so maybe it’s a call for the rest of the team to step up. Tyler Bozak seemed to think so, as he told TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
“Maybe a little bit of a wake-up call for us,” Bozak said. “We’re getting a little too comfortable.”
Perhaps it’s easier to get the message when you get blown out in your own building …
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)