Nov 25, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the St. Louis Blues hosting the Minnesota Wild starting at 8 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
— The Blues are 7-0-1 vs. the other six teams in the Central Division, outscoring them by a combined 34-16 (not including shootout goals). The only other NHL teams that are unbeaten in regulation vs. divisional foes are Ottawa (6-0-1 vs. Atlantic teams) and Anaheim (5-0-0 vs. Pacific teams).
— Since the beginning of the 2008-09 season, the Blues are 7-0-2 vs. the Wild on home ice. Four of the past five meetings at Scottrade Center have gone past 60 minutes, with the Blues taking one game each in regulation, overtime and the shootout, while the Wild’s only two wins have come in the shootout.
— Since riding a 13-game point streak (the NHL’s longest this season) from Oct. 17-Nov. 16, the Blues’ Alexander Steen has only one assist in his last four games; after scoring at least one goal in 12 of his first 14 games from Oct. 3-Nov. 7, the Swedish sniper has gone without a goal in six of his last eight.
— Wild goaltender Josh Harding, who is questionable after suffering a leg injury in warmups on Saturday, is 6-3-1 lifetime vs. St. Louis, with a 1.92 GAA. The only other NHL team that he has beaten six times is Chicago (6-3-0, 2.53 GAA). Against the Blues, Niklas Backstrom is only 6-8-1, with a 2.86 GAA.
— Since Mar. 24, 2011, the Blues are 44-0-1 at Scottrade Center when scoring three or more goals. (Their lone defeat came in a 6-5 shootout loss to Anaheim on Feb. 9, 2013.) Their 45-game point streak is exactly two-and-a-half times longer than the second-longest active home point streak (18), held by Washington (18-0-0), Minnesota (16-0-2) and Detroit (15-0-3). (Elias Sports Bureau)
— Of the 12 defensemen in the NHL who have at least 15 points this season, three play for the Blues: Alex Pietrangelo (18 points), Jay Bouwmeester (17) and Kevin Shattenkirk (16). Ryan Suter, the Wild’s points leader among blueliners, is also on that list (15 points, all assists).
— Suter leads the NHL in time on ice/game (29:33), almost two minutes more per game than the Senators’ Erik Karlsson (27:46, 2nd in the NHL). The last time a player averaged more than 29 minutes TOI/G over an entire season was 2002-03, when Nicklas Lidstrom (29:20) and Adrian Aucoin (29:00) did so.
— The Wild have allowed an NHL-low 25.3 shots per game. In the first three games of their current four-game road trip, however, they have allowed 104 shots (34.7 per game), including a season-high 39 vs. Winnipeg on Saturday.
— The Blues’ power play (20/78, 25.6%) tops the NHL. Their power-play efficiency at home is even better (13/44, 29.6%), although that statistic ranks only second in the league (Toronto, 32.4%).
— The Blues are coming off a 6-1 home win over Dallas (Nov. 23), in which six different players scored a goal. (13 different players registered at least one point.) Only eight times in 2013-14 has a team scored 6+ goals without a multi-goal scorer. (All of the teams that accomplished this feat reside in the Western Conference.) The Blues and Blackhawks are the only teams to do it twice. (Elias Sports Bureau)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 0
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 26
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 68
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)