Nov 25, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby sent Monday’s game into overtime with a goal in the dying seconds, but it wasn’t enough, as the Boston Bruins beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-3.
This was one of those “something has to give” games.
While the Bruins’ 2013 Eastern Conference finals sweep of the Penguins loomed large in the minds of many, Pittsburgh had been dominating the regular season meetings; they came into tonight’s game 9-1 in their last 10 against Boston. The Bruins have been stout at home, lately, moving to 7-0-2 in Beantown after this win.
Torey Krug notched the overtime game-winner while Swedes Loui Eriksson (one goal, two assists) and Carl Soderberg (two helpers) continue to heat up. (One might blame Crosby for losing coverage on Krug’s OT-winner, by the way.)
The Bruins have now won two OT games in a row, improving their overall record to 16-6-2.
The Penguins are on a two-game losing streak, but at least James Neal seems like he’s back to being “The Real Deal.” He now has four consecutive multiple-point games with tonight’s two-goal, one-assist effort.
Pittsburgh continues to look up at Boston among the elite, as they finish the evening at 15-9-1.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)