Nov 25, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
This weekend’s report that the Calgary Flames are willing to trade forward Mikael Backlund had at least one person a “little” surprised.
And that person was Mikael Backlund.
“I get Twitter, so I saw it on there. And I watch TSN, so I heard it there, too,” he said Saturday, per the Calgary Sun. “Watching TV and my name comes up, it’s a little surprising. But at the same time, it’s part of the business and it hasn’t been a great start, so you kind of expect it, too, a little bit.”
Backlund was the Flames’ first-round pick (24th overall) in 2007. Now 24, it’s fair to say he hasn’t developed at the rate the club had hoped he would.
“I want to help him realize what he needs to keep doing,” head coach Bob Hartley said in April. “He’s tougher in puck battles. He’s going harder at the net. I want him to play as a centerman. You need to be able to play the game in the three zones. He’s a great skater. He’s got great vision. I want to help him expand his role and believe in himself.”
Despite all the talents Hartley listed, Backlund has just two goals and five assists in 22 games this season and was a healthy scratch on Oct. 30 versus Toronto. But some clubs apparently believe Backlund could use a fresh start, with the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman saying Saturday (video) there could be “quite a bit of interest,” depending what the Flames want in return.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)