Nov 25, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
This weekend’s report that the Calgary Flames are willing to trade forward Mikael Backlund had at least one person a “little” surprised.
And that person was Mikael Backlund.
“I get Twitter, so I saw it on there. And I watch TSN, so I heard it there, too,” he said Saturday, per the Calgary Sun. “Watching TV and my name comes up, it’s a little surprising. But at the same time, it’s part of the business and it hasn’t been a great start, so you kind of expect it, too, a little bit.”
Backlund was the Flames’ first-round pick (24th overall) in 2007. Now 24, it’s fair to say he hasn’t developed at the rate the club had hoped he would.
“I want to help him realize what he needs to keep doing,” head coach Bob Hartley said in April. “He’s tougher in puck battles. He’s going harder at the net. I want him to play as a centerman. You need to be able to play the game in the three zones. He’s a great skater. He’s got great vision. I want to help him expand his role and believe in himself.”
Despite all the talents Hartley listed, Backlund has just two goals and five assists in 22 games this season and was a healthy scratch on Oct. 30 versus Toronto. But some clubs apparently believe Backlund could use a fresh start, with the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman saying Saturday (video) there could be “quite a bit of interest,” depending what the Flames want in return.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 16
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)