Nov 24, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers started the season with a 1-7-0 stretch and they were 3-9-0 through Nov. 1. They were looking like a disaster story, but instead they’ve climbed to 10-10-2 with a win over the New York Islanders last night.
It was a 5-2 victory, but the Islanders made them sweat for a bit. After Philadelphia scored three goals in just over three minutes, New York fired back with two unanswered goals.
It looked like the momentum had shifted in the Islanders’ favor and perhaps that would have led to a different result just a month ago.
“No one would believe we were at .500 that quickly as we are right now,” Voracek told CSN Philly. “A couple weeks ago, three weeks ago, when we would have been scored on with that second goal and be up 3-2, pardon my language, we would [blank] the bed.”
Voracek, who is one of the many Flyers forwards that struggled early in the season, set up Brayden Schenn‘s goal at 12:21 of the third period to give the team some much needed breathing room. Matt Read eventually finished things off with an empty netter.
Philadelphia still wouldn’t make the playoffs if the season ended today, but they’ve given Flyers fans something to be excited about again.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)