Nov 24, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers started the season with a 1-7-0 stretch and they were 3-9-0 through Nov. 1. They were looking like a disaster story, but instead they’ve climbed to 10-10-2 with a win over the New York Islanders last night.
It was a 5-2 victory, but the Islanders made them sweat for a bit. After Philadelphia scored three goals in just over three minutes, New York fired back with two unanswered goals.
It looked like the momentum had shifted in the Islanders’ favor and perhaps that would have led to a different result just a month ago.
“No one would believe we were at .500 that quickly as we are right now,” Voracek told CSN Philly. “A couple weeks ago, three weeks ago, when we would have been scored on with that second goal and be up 3-2, pardon my language, we would [blank] the bed.”
Voracek, who is one of the many Flyers forwards that struggled early in the season, set up Brayden Schenn‘s goal at 12:21 of the third period to give the team some much needed breathing room. Matt Read eventually finished things off with an empty netter.
Philadelphia still wouldn’t make the playoffs if the season ended today, but they’ve given Flyers fans something to be excited about again.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)