Nov 24, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers started the season with a 1-7-0 stretch and they were 3-9-0 through Nov. 1. They were looking like a disaster story, but instead they’ve climbed to 10-10-2 with a win over the New York Islanders last night.
It was a 5-2 victory, but the Islanders made them sweat for a bit. After Philadelphia scored three goals in just over three minutes, New York fired back with two unanswered goals.
It looked like the momentum had shifted in the Islanders’ favor and perhaps that would have led to a different result just a month ago.
“No one would believe we were at .500 that quickly as we are right now,” Voracek told CSN Philly. “A couple weeks ago, three weeks ago, when we would have been scored on with that second goal and be up 3-2, pardon my language, we would [blank] the bed.”
Voracek, who is one of the many Flyers forwards that struggled early in the season, set up Brayden Schenn‘s goal at 12:21 of the third period to give the team some much needed breathing room. Matt Read eventually finished things off with an empty netter.
Philadelphia still wouldn’t make the playoffs if the season ended today, but they’ve given Flyers fans something to be excited about again.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (94)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)