Nov 24, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers started the season with a 1-7-0 stretch and they were 3-9-0 through Nov. 1. They were looking like a disaster story, but instead they’ve climbed to 10-10-2 with a win over the New York Islanders last night.
It was a 5-2 victory, but the Islanders made them sweat for a bit. After Philadelphia scored three goals in just over three minutes, New York fired back with two unanswered goals.
It looked like the momentum had shifted in the Islanders’ favor and perhaps that would have led to a different result just a month ago.
“No one would believe we were at .500 that quickly as we are right now,” Voracek told CSN Philly. “A couple weeks ago, three weeks ago, when we would have been scored on with that second goal and be up 3-2, pardon my language, we would [blank] the bed.”
Voracek, who is one of the many Flyers forwards that struggled early in the season, set up Brayden Schenn‘s goal at 12:21 of the third period to give the team some much needed breathing room. Matt Read eventually finished things off with an empty netter.
Philadelphia still wouldn’t make the playoffs if the season ended today, but they’ve given Flyers fans something to be excited about again.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)