Nov 24, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers started the season with a 1-7-0 stretch and they were 3-9-0 through Nov. 1. They were looking like a disaster story, but instead they’ve climbed to 10-10-2 with a win over the New York Islanders last night.
It was a 5-2 victory, but the Islanders made them sweat for a bit. After Philadelphia scored three goals in just over three minutes, New York fired back with two unanswered goals.
It looked like the momentum had shifted in the Islanders’ favor and perhaps that would have led to a different result just a month ago.
“No one would believe we were at .500 that quickly as we are right now,” Voracek told CSN Philly. “A couple weeks ago, three weeks ago, when we would have been scored on with that second goal and be up 3-2, pardon my language, we would [blank] the bed.”
Voracek, who is one of the many Flyers forwards that struggled early in the season, set up Brayden Schenn‘s goal at 12:21 of the third period to give the team some much needed breathing room. Matt Read eventually finished things off with an empty netter.
Philadelphia still wouldn’t make the playoffs if the season ended today, but they’ve given Flyers fans something to be excited about again.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)