Nov 24, 2013, 1:18 AM EDT
This marks the first shutout of a 2013-14 season that’s been impressive on the ice and turbulent off of it for Varlamov. He’s put together a three-game winning streak against three teams that have recently gone deep into the playoffs in the West: Chicago, Phoenix and Los Angeles (all on the road).
Varlamov is helping the Avs weather some time with Matt Duchene on the mend, bumping them to 17-5-0 on the season.
Jamie McGinn was the only player to score, as he found the net for the fourth time this season.
Scrivens put together another great effort, however, stopping 32 out of 33 shots. He’s made 150 out of 157 stops since taking over for Jonathan Quick, which would translate to a .955 save percentage. The Kings have managed points in all six of those games, although they’ve lost two in a row in overtime.
One would be foolish to beat up on the Kings’ surprisingly effective 27-year-old backup. The Kings only scored two goals in these two OT losses, so Darryl Sutter might want to go back to the drawing board offensively.
That being said, the Kings really aren’t that far off the mark as far as the West’s elite goes, as they’re now 15-6-3.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)