Nov 24, 2013, 1:18 AM EDT
This marks the first shutout of a 2013-14 season that’s been impressive on the ice and turbulent off of it for Varlamov. He’s put together a three-game winning streak against three teams that have recently gone deep into the playoffs in the West: Chicago, Phoenix and Los Angeles (all on the road).
Varlamov is helping the Avs weather some time with Matt Duchene on the mend, bumping them to 17-5-0 on the season.
Jamie McGinn was the only player to score, as he found the net for the fourth time this season.
Scrivens put together another great effort, however, stopping 32 out of 33 shots. He’s made 150 out of 157 stops since taking over for Jonathan Quick, which would translate to a .955 save percentage. The Kings have managed points in all six of those games, although they’ve lost two in a row in overtime.
One would be foolish to beat up on the Kings’ surprisingly effective 27-year-old backup. The Kings only scored two goals in these two OT losses, so Darryl Sutter might want to go back to the drawing board offensively.
That being said, the Kings really aren’t that far off the mark as far as the West’s elite goes, as they’re now 15-6-3.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 6
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 15
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 34
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 32
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)