Nov 24, 2013, 1:18 AM EST
This marks the first shutout of a 2013-14 season that’s been impressive on the ice and turbulent off of it for Varlamov. He’s put together a three-game winning streak against three teams that have recently gone deep into the playoffs in the West: Chicago, Phoenix and Los Angeles (all on the road).
Varlamov is helping the Avs weather some time with Matt Duchene on the mend, bumping them to 17-5-0 on the season.
Jamie McGinn was the only player to score, as he found the net for the fourth time this season.
Scrivens put together another great effort, however, stopping 32 out of 33 shots. He’s made 150 out of 157 stops since taking over for Jonathan Quick, which would translate to a .955 save percentage. The Kings have managed points in all six of those games, although they’ve lost two in a row in overtime.
One would be foolish to beat up on the Kings’ surprisingly effective 27-year-old backup. The Kings only scored two goals in these two OT losses, so Darryl Sutter might want to go back to the drawing board offensively.
That being said, the Kings really aren’t that far off the mark as far as the West’s elite goes, as they’re now 15-6-3.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)